Not a Train smash but, is this normal for 70-300 L glass?

mark from thailand

<p>I just bought a 70-300 F/4-5.6 L for sports as just upgraded from 7D to 5D Mk III and needed the additional 100mm from my trusty 70-200 F/4 L.</p>

<p>I'm noticing vignetting, especially when wide open. I was expecting some but maybe not as much. Is this 'normal'? It's not really a problem as Lightroom corrects this if I need it.</p>

<p>What do you experts think?</p><div>00anq5-495789584.thumb.jpg.a3e628793306fcd6736632b5b9145604.jpg</div>

<p>You can compare your lens to these test results (at different f stops), incl comparison to other zooms:<br>

<a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=738">http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Vignetting-Test-Results.aspx?Lens=738</a><br>

The FF camera will certainly show more of it than the crop sensor.</p>

<p>Yes, it vignettes noticeably when used wide open; <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/reviews/ef-70-300-f4-5-6l-is-review/">others have found that too.</a><br>

I usually add vignetting to a lot of my images, so it's not an issue unless 'm going to create a panorama from multiple images and I want to make sure they blend well.</p>

<p>If it bothers you too much you can enable the lens profile correction in LR and make that part of your new default by pressing Alt + Set default… in the develop module. That way you won't ever see it again.</p>

<p>Without having had experience with or knowledge of this new lens in particular, I'd say it would almost certainly be normal. Copy-to-copy variations in softness and CA could be attributable to misalignment of elements in manufacture, but it would take some monumental error in manufacture for one copy to vignette more than another copy.</p>

<p>Vignetting on the tele end is a bit surprising for any lens, but I did research this just a bit. I googled "canon 70-300L review" and found (first hit?) a review from the dubious reviewer whose name should seldom be invoked. Even upon realizing I had landed in this questionable Internet zone I decided to skim on. (What the heck? What's the Kenster got to say?) Part way down on the page, you'll find that the lens vignettes quite a bit at ALL focal lengths when shot wide open -- even more so at the short end of the FL range. Well, that makes more sense. It's strange, but perhaps less strange.</p>

<p>Mark,<br>

just keep in mind that this will automatically correct vignetting <strong>and</strong> distortion <strong>for all lenses</strong>. That might not always be what you want.</p>

<p>I actually use 3 different presets instead that correct a) only distortion, b) only vignetting and c) distortion & vignetting. This is almost as quick as incorporating it into the default and you control when to apply what.</p>

<p>LR has corrections for lens errors, if you've activated them, but they're not as specific and refined as DLO in DPP. With DPP you'll get more accurate lens corrections, better color, detail and NR. Unfortunately, DPP's user interface stinks vs. LR, DxO and most other Raw converters.</p>

<p>Anyway, since you're bound to have DPP on hand, it came with your camera, you might give it a try just to see if it corrects the vignetting to your satisfaction. If it does, then figure out why LR isn't doing the same. (I don't know LR, but I understand that you may have to activate its lens correction modules).</p>