Decent Lighting / Low Cost for Intimate Model Shoot

j_l32

<p>Given everything you've told us, I'd say go to KEH and use your credit card to order a used, lower-to-mid-level Nikon or Canon DSLR and a 50mm f/1.8 that will auto-focus on the DSLR you're buying (there are some issues, be sure to check), and then get a low-end radio trigger set and a Strobist one-shoe-mount-flash set-up. All of this can be had for $500 - $600. Then go out and practice.</p>

<p>BTW, $10k of camera and lighting equipment isn't going to get you any better results than your P&S if you don't know how to use it. :(</p>

<p>You can get excellent results with a $100 flash and a couple of reflectors and a diffusion panel, but you do need to learn lighting first. </p>

<p>The final results are always totally dependent on the lump of gray matter three inches behind the viewfinder, not the $10k of equipment in front of it.</p>

<p>Ok, sorry guys, ya I've rethought some thins and all this talk about photography is really starting to make me wanna do this "properly" (= more agreeable to you guys) and own my first camera regardless of anything else... and yes even tho my financial/business situation may be changing (reason for the "price doesnt mater stuff" etc... thats all I'll say for now), I think u guys have really made a valid point now that I thought about it more.</p>

<p><br /> Upon another suggestion, I did some research on the T2i, and that it is a really awesome camera, the external mic will really be useful, and the video stuff is REALLY useful as well, esp the 60 fps for my occasional golf swing analysis... except for the slow burst speed, it seems almost too perfect. AND the freakin Canon software, totally forgot about that, AWESOME (what remote trigger, LOL). It seems on eBay I see some bodies only having been sold for about $300, so if I can trust the seller I'll use that as my target mark.</p>

<p><br /> Now as much as that 70-200 lens sounds tempting, I'll probably skimp on that... maybe I'll get that later at some point. For now, I see a ton of the 50mm f1.8 lens sold for under $40 also on eBay in the last few of months, can that be right, seems too cheap? And there was one for $300, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II +EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens #L523, so....... I'm a bit confused about the suggested lens spec and different types. You guys know what my main project is, but I dont mind paying a little more so I can have a lens that can take a decent wide variety of photos and take decent videos, esp of the golf swing. The zooms r nice but I fear that will raise the price again too much that I dont need so I guess I'll buy a separate zoom lens later when I think I'll need it.</p>

<p><br /> And since I have never bought photo equipment on eBay or the like before, is there a "fail safe question" u can ask the seller to see if he is a legit seller who didnt abuse his equipment? For example, if I were buying a golf club or a tennis racquet or other electronics, I would ask certain questions like why r u selling it, what level r u, etc., and then follow up his answers with some more questions to see if he is telling the truth. This is never a fail safe per se, but it will weed out the idiots who think they can get good dollar for some item that has a slight defect.<br>

<br /><br />But thanks for your patience with me, trust me, its never my intentions to insult any of u guys with my stupid proposals, but I am dead serious on this project and my enthusiasm for photography ever since I was in school.</p>

<p>If I was in your position and had to shoot on a shoe-string budget while still having high quality I would go for the following camera gear (used from KEH):</p>

<p>- Canon 30D<br>

- Tamron 17-50/2.8 (non-VC)<br>

- Canon 85/1.8</p>

<p>For flashes go with a Flashpoint II 320M (Adorama) and 10' stand (Adorama). For a diffuser/reflectors use shower curtains or bed sheets and make some v-flats.</p>

<p>Is there something significantly better in the 30D than the T2i for me and my preferences? I appreciate your advice but I can go forever with trying to decide between 10 different camera suggestions from various experts bec I know everyone has their little preferences as well etc... I see the 30D is also a great camera but it seems a bit pricer and I dont think it has those other features I loved on the T2i listed above.<br>

And do u mean get 2 separate lenses? I know some say using the 85mm or above will do well with slimming effects etc., but I'm not worried about that part. The only thing is that my shoot distance will be avg about 5 feet, +/- a few feet, so maybe I need the wide angle?</p>

<p>"Is there something significantly better in the 30D than the T2i for me and my preferences?" ... better x-sync speed, PC port, and much better ergonomics (fewer button presses to make common changes). There's a 30D at KEH on right now for $254 so it's cheaper than a T2i.<br>

<br>

"And do u mean get 2 separate lenses?" ... yes. For the type of work you plan on doing you typically want f/2.8 or faster lenses and these two cover a broad range of focal lengths, provide very good quality, and are not very expensive.<br>

<br>

</p>

<p>Isnt that 30D used? I never bought from KEH before, it doesnt state if that item is new or what condition etc... its seems very hard to find one new for a decent price considering it came out almost 7 years ago.<br>

Most reviews comparing the two seem to state the T2i is a technological upgrade from the 30D... I will have the body on a tripod for these shoots so the ergonomics will not be an issue, and once I find the settings I will not be changing them from shot to shot all the time... The T2i also hooks into the PC software via USB so I am not sure what u mean by a better PC port... also it seems the T2i video is as good as it gets at that price + HDMI, and again the external mic I dont see either on the 30D's reviews, let alone the LCD screen difference and 8MP vs 18... and some say even image quality is better on the T2i.<br>

Not trying to neg or nag u, but I just wanna make the best decision and u r the only person telling me the 30D is better than the T2i so I need to make sure before making my purchase, will be very soon... apologies in advance if this sounded offensive... Thanks.</p>

<p>Yes, it's used. The T2i is a tech upgrade but in a different class of camera. Rebels are pro-sumer, XXD are semi-pro. Ergonomics isn't about tripod, it's about the menu interface. For example, if in manual mode (most common in a controlled studio-type situation), there are discrete controls for shutter and aperture on the XXD cameras while the Rebels need a few button presses to accomplish the same thing. The PC port is a flash sync port for studio flash ... nothing to do with a computer. The Rebels don't have this. The 30D interfaces to a computer via USB and uses the same software as the T2i. The 30D is a good solid pro level camera while the T2i is a consumer camera. They both work, both can produce excellent results. If you want video and "features", get the T2i. Consider that the price delta between a new consumer camera and a used semi-pro camera is enough to buy you basic studio lighting gear. Just trying to give you a practical perspective without all the marketing hype.</p>

<p>Understood and I appreciate your input... Yes I do see the T2i can be more marketable to the masses, but since I wont pretend to be a pro-photographer anytime soon and the other features are actually very important to me, I will have to stick with the T2i... also I saw on that cowboy something site someone showed me that getting a remote wired/wireless flash hotshoe attachment was not that expensive so its not impossible to use the strobes with my T2i, but please correct me if I am wrong. I think my biggest problem now is that someone pointed out to me that the lens I was pretty much set on getting due to price/performance and my type of work was the 50mm/1.8, but because I have a max shooting distance of about 8 feet in the room, the full body shots may not be so graceful and will be a factor. However I will rarely need a FULL body (head to toe) shot... most will be midsection, or sitting on the bed etc... then someone said just start out with the generic 18-55mm and upgrade later if needed. I am pretty confused about that now.</p>