D300s with Nikkor afs 300/4

jti

<p>Hi!<br>

Simple question: is Nikkor afs 300/4 too slow lens in Nikon D300s to take photographs of terns flying towards the camera? Too many of my photos are back-focused no matter how the camera is adjusted. Still images are correctly-focused. Photographing condition has been ideal: sunny wether, sky on background.<br>

I'm rather experienced nature photographer (http://jti.kuvat.fi/), so don't try any too obvious explanation :) but of course you can suggest your own ideal camera adjustment combination! And I know newer afs telelenses are better, just too expensive for me.<br>

Thnx for your feedback in advance!<br>

-j-</p>

<p>In my experience: somewhat... The AF speed of the lens is not tremendous, though it's not terribly slow either. The problem, in my experience, is possibly more the AF mode of the D300. I find that with full 51-points 3D mode, the AF with the AF-S 300 f/4 is a little hesitant. Configuring it 'simpler' (I use the 21-points mode instead) with minimal delays for everything, it becomes a lot faster and tracking is a lot better.<br>

Flying towards you is a problem anyway, you might hit the "speed limits" of your gear there.</p>

<p>I always use my D300 with my AFS 300 f/4. That is my birds set.<br>

I have notice that for birds flying toward you, the problem is not on the lens but un the AF system. You have to be very careful on what mode you use it. I always try to get BIF on an angle but every once in while I shoot when they are flying to me and the lens is just fast enough and reliable unless you are shooting very small birds.<br>

Here is an example:</p><div>00ab87-481143584.jpg.36a5a55d64209463f53d255572d505ed.jpg</div>

<p>I have both the 300mm/f2.8 AF-S and 300mm/f4 AF-S. I had bought the f2.8 a few years earlier since there was no f4 AF-S version back then, and I wanted to use the 1.4x TC on it. Priot to those, I had the original 300mm/f4 AF, non AF-S.</p>

<p>After the 300mm/f4 AF-S was introduced, I added that lens due to its smaller size, but it turns out that AF is much faster on the f2.8 version. I am sure more light hitting the AF module is one reason, but the AF motor inside the f4 verison also seems weaker.</p>

<p>I have used the 300mm/f4 AF-S for birds in flight situations and my success rate is also very low. However, my 300mm/f2.8 AF-S is far far better for flight despite the fact that it is a very early AF-S lens. That is why for birds in flight, I would hand hold that heavy 300mm/f2.8 but shoot at f4 or f5.6. That has been the case using my D2X, D300, D7000, and even D3.</p>

<p>One of the settings I've been playing with, but haven't mastered yet is the one that determines how long the camera 'pauses' if something obstructs the view when panning or of someone runs infront of you whilst you're focused at the horse/bike/car/person 60ft away. Setting a4, It has 3 'strength' settings and off. </p>

<p>If it's in the off position, the focusing behaves as if it's got a caffeine overdose, very jittery.</p>

<p>Now, it's supposed to help with obstructions, but I have a feeling it adjusts the focus more quickly. It's hard to do a side-by-side comparison. It may be the sound the lens makes that gives the impression of working harder and faster.</p>

<p>Hi<br>

I have been using the D300 w 300/4 afs for a few years now and have had no problems with focus speed,<br>

and that goes with using the TC-14E which is mostly on my camera.<br>

Focus in good light and clear background and you are problem free.<br>

I use 9 point auto focus in c mode and manual exposure mode most of the time.<br>

Settings are f5.6@1/2000 w iso 320 with the 14e attached.<br>

Rick<br>

http://slopoki1.smugmug.com/Nature<br>

Coming at me sample.</p>

<div>00abDq-481235584.jpg.8f2cc037993b65e7800058bf34aafa8a.jpg</div>

<p>I use the older version of the nikon 300mm f/4 af on my Nikon D-300. I shoot in apeture priority,9 points, and usually Iso 400.<br>

Faster under Bright conditions.The afs version is faster, but my best bird shots have been using these settings for flying birds. For perched birds the same applies except, the use of a Better Beamer which works great.</p>