D5 Mk II Purchase?

<p>Considering that the 5DMkIII has been recently released, and since Canon is considering continuation, at least temporarily, of the MK II, might this be a good time to consider switching from a crop camera (60D) to a full framer (MKII)? I am referring to the economics of the potential for the MKII's price going down. I have wanted a full framer for some time, but the prices kept me at bay and the MKII might become priced better in the near future.</p>

<p>The 5D3 is priced in the range of the proverbial "3D". It's so high that it may not decrease demand for the 5D2. If you want a full-frame camera for under $3000, it might be wise to buy one while Canon is still makng them. Otherwise, you'll be looking for a used one on eBay, wondering if you can trust the seller.</p>

<p>While it is certainly possible that 'new' prices will continue to decline, I find it's pretty unlikely (at least in the near future) given the price of the mk3. I expect the current new prices are about as good as they'll get for mk2s. Refurbed prices (for 5D2s) are about 1/2 that of the new mk3 ($1800 vs. $3500), and so, are also a great deal.</p>

<p>I would expect, if you are willing to buy used, that used prices will go down a bit, since new/refurbed prices are so low. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>New and used 5D2 prices haven't changed much since the 5D3 debuted. I don't think they will drop much until the 5D3 price drifts down considerably. As is, they are already a great deal compared with the 5D3. The best 5D2 deals are probably the refurbs that appear on Canon USA's website.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>New, lower prices of the mark ii were put out, immediately after the mark iii was put out.<br /> There seems to have been no great "dump" of mark iis by people rushing to buy mark iiis, so at the moment used mark ii prices are close enough to new, that I just went ahead and got a new one.</p>

<p>If you don't need the undoubted improvements on the mark iii, the mark ii is a bargain. Frankly for the way and for what I personally shoot, even a <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Vlot">Canon EOS 650 AF</a> (the very first EOS camera ever) works OK for me, so the AF is not an issue.</p>

<p>I think if you wait for still lower prices you may well be waiting a fairly long time. Someday the prices of the used ones will drop, I'm sure, but my personal judgment was that I didn't want to wait for it.</p>

<p>I bought my 5D II in the fall for $2000 CDN. At the release of the 5D III prices went up to $2400 CDN, and just this month prices have dropped down to $2100 CDN. So, you might see a drop in the USA again soon.</p>

<p>I would also not have a problem getting a refurb from Canon USA for under $1800 USD.</p>

<p>If you can hang onto the D60 for sports that would be great, but if not, don't sweat it. I find that the 5D II, 300/4 L and 1.4x autofocuses on racing cars just fine. You're just missing fps.</p>

<p>I meant to add:<br>

I would also say that if you can keep an APS-C camera, you will have the best of two different formats.<br>

I typically carry my "full frame" (now a mark ii) <em>and</em> my old "crop", the latter with a telephoto on it. When a bird starts up or some such, I'm ready.</p>

<p>BTW "Crop" is sort of derogatory, many of us who use both, prefer "35mm" and "APS-C". Nikon was smarter here and uses "DX" and "FX", nice neutral terms.</p>

<p>Herbert -<br>

Thanks for the info. Regarding the Canon loyalty program, it is my understanding that in order to take advantage of the program, one must have a broken Canon camera which is out of warranty. My 60D, which is my only Canon camera, is in perfect condition. <br>

Thanks again for the advice. I will keep it handy. I didn't know the program existed, but when I read the post, I checked into it and found out.<br>

Thanks<br>

Dan</p>