The Promotion of Film use....what are we missing?

<p>Well stated, Joseph.</p>

<p>I think Karim's post shows what Kodak has in mind:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...new technology will permit them to continue to produce these in "boutique quantities" using<br />single coating machines rather than the huge multiple coaters of the past...Future production would primarily be on an "on demand" basis." <br>

<strong>This would include the infrastructure for processing</strong>, probably at a single<br />lab, either in Rochester NY, or sub-contracted.<br /><br />"On demand" could conceivably include any film Kodak has ever produced.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd certainly buy some Verichrome Pan and Plus-X if they produced them again.</p>

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Why add grain to a digital photo To hide something? Maybe for effect but why not have a digital photo look digital? If that is what you are shooting. I never understood this whole make your digital photos look like film. If digital is so great /better then film you should have award winning perfect photos from the camera to the printer with no post production. But for some reason we know that is not the case.</p>

<p>Joseph Wisniewski's <em>ad hominem</em> attack, a/k/a flame, is not appreciated and does nothing to advance the goals of photographers. It doesn't help to generalize the attack to include "one or two people like you" Also, he is wrong in saying I am "not making even the slightest bit of effort to learn what the capabilities of the equipment you're bashing actually are." I have owned and used a Nikon D300 since it first came out, having taken close to a thousand pictures. I use Paint Shop Pro ver 12.50 to clean up the images. I know a thing or two about digital photography.</p>

<p>Apparently, I was wrong, especially concerning high magnification. If you resize an image in PSP, you can select the resampling algorithm as: bicubic, smart size, bilinear, pixel resize or weighted average. If you substantially enlarge the image using, for example bicubic-sampling resizing, you do not get little boxes. HOWEVER, if you magnify an area using "zoom," you do get the little boxes. I use the latter feature a lot, but only rarely use the former feature.</p>

<p>I also know that at the hospital where I receive health care, is a huge photograph of how the hospital will look after the construction is completed. I walk right by that photograph and from a few inches away, it looks terrible.</p>