GS-1 advance lever slips

jim_peterson2

<p>When using the speed grip with my GS-1 I often find that something is slipping when I advance the film. Under normal conditions film advance and shutter cocking require two cranks of the advance lever. When mine begins to slip the count number in the frame counter advances normally and I can see that the base where the hand crank normally connects is rotating properly (I can see it because I don't have the cover that you're supposed to put on it when using the speed grip). But after two cranks of the lever it doesn't lock. The frame counter stops at the proper number but the lever doesn't lock. I can keep cranking it. So I'm guessing that it is failing to cock the shutter. The solution is to crank it very slowly and gently and it usually succeeds in cocking the shutter and locking the lever after one or two tries. Frame spacing is normal and consistent.<br>

Does anyone know why this happens and if there is an easy fix. I'm not too worried since I can still get it to work alright but if it gets worse it may be a problem.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Jim,<br>

If you remove the round leatherrete cover on the film advance/cocking knob, it will reveal a screw that might be loose that causes the winder to slip. I would start from there.<br>

Otherwise it seems that something is loose from the gears causing the whole mechanism to slip.<br>

Hope this helps.<br>

Theo</p>