Color rendering in I.E.8

<p>I have a Zenfolio website that, for the most part I am happy with. However, I noticed viewing my website in IE8, Safari, Chrome and Firefox, there is a HUGE difference. The truest colors are displayed in Safari (just like my Lightroom on my computer) then Firefox, then Chrome and last and worst in IE. I understand that there is no color management in IE, and that Safari does. However, not everybody uses Safari/Firefox. I don't see myself telling my customers to please use Safari to view my site.</p>

<p>Can this be overcome? Is there a way that the images will also display in IE properly? Zenfolio tells me not to worry about it, clearly they don't have a solution.</p>

<p>Is it a Zenfolio limitation? This is what my webbuilder neighbor thinks.</p>

<p>Any input is appreciated...</p>

<p>I have a high quality calibrated monitor and would guess that you do too. I also see a distinct difference between Safari and IE (even with images having sRBG profile embedded), with Safari matching Lightroom and IE not. I don't know the technical explanation for this, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Most people wil be viewing your website on mediocre quality displays, uncalibrated, and usually set way too bright. There's just no way of predicting how an image will look to any given viewer or of making it look the same for everyone.</p>

<p>As Peter said, export your images for web use in the sRGB colour space *including* the colour profile. That will give you the best cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility.<br /> IE8 is not colour managed. In Chrome you need to enable colour management up until v13, which is no good. Safari and Firefox have it enabled by default. These browsers will honour embedded colour profiles and render your images accordingly.</p>

<p>However thios s all purely academic since there is no way to ensure consistent display of images even with colour-managed browsers unless the users' screens are properly calibrated.</p>

<p>Regardless of whether IE9 is colour managed it's still best to export as sRGB since a) there are a heck of a lot of people using earlier browsers and b) most monitors are not capable of displaying anything much better than sRGB anyway.</p>

<p>Whether or not you include the profile itself in the image, and I can't see why not as it's small, probably makes no difference in practice since all browsers, including colour managed ones, will assume sRGB if no profile is present.</p>