Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 Problem.

<p>Hi everybody. I just recently bought a used Canon Transmitter ST-E2. It seemed to work in the shop (a very reputable shop) but it's not working well right now for some reason. My gear I've tested with includes the unit itself, Canon 60D, 5D, and Speedlight 420EX. My problem seems to be mostly in the synching of the flash that the 420 puts out when it's triggered. As well, pushing the pilot switch on the back of the transmitter doesn't seem to have any effect on the 420.</p>

<p>Here's my setup:</p>

<p>Put transmitter on camera, turn on camera, and then transmitter. Then I switch on my 420ex and set it to slave mode. They're facing each other pretty straight on just to test. The slave is flashing and it should be triggered quite easily. I mentioned that the pilot switch isn't triggering my flash, but I just noticed that it will trigger the 420ex if I hold the transmitter very close to the 420. It is possible that the battery could be waning on the transmitter, but it seems to be working fine otherwise. Anyways. I put the flash at something, I have my camera set to a fairly normal setting for the flash to light, and as I look through the viewfinder and take a snap, I can see the flash go off in the viewfinder, but it does not appear at all during the exposure as evidenced through the review. </p>

<p>I have heard somebody mention a synching problem, but I have also heard somebody mention the preflash, that it might use up all the flash power, thus leaving no juice saved up to fire the main exposure flash. </p>

<p>Has anybody else had experience with this?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I used the ST-E2 with a 420EX and 430EX for many years without problems. The ST-E2 actually uses a flash tube with red lens in front of it, so it needs a good 2CR2 battery. It lasts a long time. I'm guessing mine was good for a 1000 triggerings. <br /> Indoors, with light colored walls and ceilings, the trigger beam is fairly wide and strong, so line of sight isn't usually necessary. The ST-E2 can trigger the 420EX Speedlite even when facing the the opposite direction (it reflects off nearby surfaces). Outdoors, you need perfect line of sight or it will not trigger, so I make sure the Speedlite body is pointed at the ST-E2.<br /> I've never had or heard of a sync problem with this duo. However, you might check a few things. Make sure the ST-E2 is fully seated and the contacts are clean. If the ST-E2 is not seated right, E-TTL mode will not work (it will default to manual mode which is not compatible with the 420EX). Also, be sure they are on the same channel and the 420EX is in slave mode. Also, the ST-E2 will not work with high speed sync mode so make sure the switch is in the normal sync mode.</p>

<p>Finally, you might wanna test the 420EX and see if it will trigger from the 60D popup (enable in the flash menu).</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thanks for the extra info. I might try to pick up a different battery to see if that might be part of it. I'm just not getting that pre-flash which is part of ettl2. I can tell that the 420ex is firing full power just before the exposure is made. It's acting the same with with both the 5d and 60d, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the unit or the battery. I'll try a little more to work with the contacts and see that they're clean, but otherwise, everything is set correctly. Same channel, salve mode, no high speed sync.</p>

<p>Definitely inside. The room is fairly dark but it does have a light ceiling. I'm literally standing 5 feet from the 420ex, pointing my camera dead at it, i snap the shutter, and as the mirror is flicking up, I see the flash go off (boy do i see it go off...the spots...i still see them). I look back at the photo I just took....nothing. I hear the long drawn out whine of my flash reloading on power and it's another 5 or 6 seconds before the light on the front of the flash unit starts blinking again. It's triggering the unit, it's just not flashing twice for some reason.</p>

<p>You won't be able to see the preflash and the main flash, the time between them is so short that normally it appears to be one flash of light. You can see the preflash in the viewfinder though since it is emitted before the mirror goes up. The preflash won't drain the capacitor, if the flash indicates that it is ready it has enough power for pre and main flash.<br>

I'd put fresh batteries in the STE-2 and in the 420EX before further tests. The STE-2 appears to trigger the 420EX so it is working to some degree. Check if the 420EX isn't malfunctioning by putting it on camera. And use the * button to generate a preflash. In that way you separate the pre and main flash.</p>

<p>A few other things to check. If you take the ST-E off the camera, and have the 420EX not connected to <em>anything</em> (the hotshot is exposed), does the ST-E2 Pilot trigger the flash then? Is the E-TTL light on both the Flash and ST-E2 on? Is the flash showing Group A and CH 1, with the ST-E2 showing CH 1. Are the ratio lights all off? Are you are switching the ST-E2 on to the middle "I" position (not "Hold"). Is the Pilot light on both on (red). Does the pilot switch (and light) work on the flash? (are you getting a green exposure light in response to the pilot flash?). In your regular tests you probably don't want to point the flash straight at the transmitter as the transmitter will see the preflash and think it has a lot of light. Have you got good batteries in the flash unit?</p>