K-30 leak-link with images..!

wolf_weber

<p>Thanks for the link, William. Now that I've seen better photos of it, from different angles, I find the design/appearance a lot more appealing than I did when the first photos were leaked.</p>

<p>I do think it's a little silly that they included the words "DIGITAL SINGLE-LENS REFLEX CAMERA" on the back of the camera underneath the LCD screen. That's like building a car and putting "CAR" on the bumper. Are they worried that people won't know what it is? LOL</p>

<p>BTW, other than the damn flash lip returning, it's a decent looking camera from first glance.</p>

<p>Buffer isn't impressive, flash sync like the normal lens is just something I accept will never happen.<br>

<br />Overall, ergonomics look decent. The fact the scene modes are menu items is nice. You could definitely see this being a professionals 2nd camera body or even primary.<br>

<br />Overall it looks solid.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes and no.</p>

<p>It's slower, smaller buffer, lacks a metal body, lacks a top LCD. I'm sure the menu system isn't quite as complete. I'm guessing lack of sensor shift (just a guess, I might be wrong). </p>

<p>There is no doubt it isn't a K-5, but if like me you tend to shoot a lot in manual and RAW, and it has a chunk of the K-5 features + it has the K-5 IQ, I see no reason not to consider it. </p>

<p>On the flip side, if you can score a K-5 for around $900, it's still probably a better overall camera for the most part.</p>

<p>Typically Pentax does just enough to make people make a big decision.</p>

<p>Case in point, the K10D vs the K200D.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I'm guessing lack of sensor shift (just a guess, I might be wrong)."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's no need to guess; the specs are all available on Pentax's official K-30 web page: "PENTAX sensor-shift Shake and Dust Reduction technology ensures sharp, image stabilized, auto-leveled, and dust-free imaging with any mounted lens."</p>

<p>http://pentaximaging.com/dslr/K-30_Black</p>

<p>Appears to be a replacement for the K-r as its niche in the marketplace, and is now the only other WR amateur-oriented body since the K200D. The K-r came in at around $700 or $800 then soon dropped to around $600. This kind of price settling may be the case with the K-30. As such, it offers a remarkable degree of quality and value, having the WR and more on-body controls then the K-r, along with the fine sensor of the K-5.</p>

<p>Makes one wonder what the next Pentax high-end DSLR will be like?<br>

</p>

<p>Wouldn't surprise me if they go ahead and use the 24 MP Sony sensor in the K-5's replacement. (K-3?) That's fine for people who have a collection of exceptionally good glass; it's quite an unforgiving sensor and can really bring out the flaws in otherwise decent lenses.</p>

<p>R.T.,</p>

<p>Not to highjack this thread, but... I don't know about any of the technical spec's/tests or user reviews of that 24mp Sony sensor, can you expound upon that statement a bit ("it's quite an unforgiving sensor and can really bring out the flaws in otherwise decent lenses")?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>That's just my impression based on doing my own comparisons of lenses that have been tested with the 16mp sensor and then retested with the 24mp sensor. In several cases the lenses fared significantly worse on the 24mp sensor, particularly in the borders and corners.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Michael Kuhne wrote:<br>

Appears to be a replacement for the K-r...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd say it's a replacement for the K200D; the K-30 is no entry-level camera.</p>

<p>Unless Pentax are now considering the K-01 as entry-level, then there will still be a K-r replacement announced soon (June-July or so). I expect the K-5 replacement to be announced at or slightly before Photokina and to use Sony's 24MP sensor. I have no idea what sensor the K-r replacement will use, but it could well be that Pentax have decided to go mirrorless for their entry-level cameras without informing us about it (meaning there will be no K-r replacement). After all, we're simply their userbase and do not deserve to know about their strategy.</p>