Lack of top lcd screen

patrickwells

<p>I am drooling over the blue k-30. The only thing I see that it is missing for me is the top screen. I find I do use the one on my ZX-7 and DL. The rear screen is bright when I look in the viewfinder of My DL when it is still lit from use . So I always make sure it is blank when I shoot. I am a bit nervous about the k-30 not having the top screen. Can the rear screen on the DSLR's with out the top screen have their rear screens turned off while looking thru the viewfinder ? Or is it blank till you press a button like menu, etc. I just don't want the info lit on it when I am shooting.</p>

<p>I pretty much read the manual I am still not clear about the rear monitor when using the viewfinder. I thought that maybe someone with a K-X might know. I think the screens work the same on both cameras just more info on the K-30. I wear glasses and light coming in around the viewfinder sometimes hinders my ability to see .</p>

<p>It's possible to set up the K-x in the way that you're describing. The tools menu lets you turn off the Guide Display, as it's called, and the recording mode menu lets you turn of the Instant Review. So it's a two-step process, but it results in the screen never being lit up unless you press the Menu or Info buttons. If you want the Instant Review but not the Info, you can have that also, and you can set the Instant Review time for as little as one second.</p>

<p>I agree, having the bright rear info screen on during shooting using the VF is annoying. However, I can turn off the rear info screen on my K-r with just a couple of quick button pushes on the rear "info" button. I expect the same will be true with the K-30.</p>

<p>As to missing the top LCD- yes I do somewhat when using my K-r compared with using my K-5, K20D, or K200D. Always having to tilt the camera down to check certain info is a bit more cumbersome to me. The idea of course, is to save size, weight, and expense. I do like the small size, weight, and very good performance of my K-r when I want to travel small as I can with a DSLR, or for the best possible low light use. Otherwise, my K-5 is usually my first choice followed by the other two models, which I still do use depending on my shooting needs.</p>

<p>As to the K-30, the full-featured Pentax Hyper System, in a 2-control wheel design, using the highly-rated 16 mp sensor, all in such a smallish body with WR, is uncanny! I don't blame you for being interested! OTOH you can now get a left-over K-5 for about the same as the intro price of a K-30 (which is likely to drop after a few months). The K-5 has more on-body controls, an excellent control layout for quick adjustments, an excellent top LCD, and is quite a remarkable camera with its fine magnesium-alloy body. Although exceptionally light for what it is, the K-5 is still a noticeable quarter pound heavier than the new K-30.</p>