Nikon F4s -- fibers in viewfinder

neal_weissman

<p>a myriad of fibers recently began appearing in the Nikon F4s viewfinder.<br>

removal of the lens revealed that the fibers are not on the lens, not on the mirror, and not on the groundglass prism.<br>

i cannot afford a repair, so i solicit suggestions as to where these fibers might be located, their source, and whether i can fix the problem.<br>

i see an occasional fiber on the scanned negatives but i cannot be certain that their source is the recently-appearing viewfinder fibers.</p>

<p>I have found them dropping out of my new camera's shutter !!</p>

<p>I find them most easily by raising the mirror, holding open the shutter and visually inspecting the shutter.</p>

<p>The fibers are likely in the film canisters these days, I never used to see these until quite recently.</p>

<p>thanks for the responses .. but i wouldn't know how to remove the prism, or pull out the viewscreen -- do these require special tools and skills?<br>

Richard, i am noob confused: "holding open the shutter" means, i assume, the "B" setting on the timing knob; are you saying that i should then keep the shutter button depressed and look for fibers -- where would i look for the fibers?</p>

<p>I don't have a F4 so I can't give you the steps to hold the shutter open while you look for and extract any fibers at the edges of the frame opening.IF they are still there, they will be easy to spot.</p>

<p>I would hold the shutter open if all else fails by locking the shutter open in Bulb mode.</p>

<p>On some of the F series camera's it is alot easier to do this than on others.</p>

<p>Bob's link above should help you discern how to do that from the instructions.</p>

<p>The F4 has interchangeable prisms. Go to the little button forward of your rewind. Push it in and with fingers firmly on the prism pull out. Removing and replacing the screen is easy. Finger in back and lift up. But maybe you don't have to do that. Use a blower on the screen and the bottom of the prism. When you are done, carefully slide the prism back in place. Make sure you hear a decisive click. Then your prism is connected and you are in business.</p>