FL-50R does it have thermal overload protection?

kevin_mahoney1

<p>I recently shot a wedding, using a lightsphere modifier, Auto ttl flash with manual exposure, and a HV-1 battery pack, in a low light catering hall. After 90 minutes, the flash stopped functioning (now mind you, the subject distance varied between 5 to 10 feet, so I figured the flash output was not full power all the time.), and the "test" button locked Could this be a function of the flash`s thermal overload protection (if it has one)? <br>

TIA for all responses,</p>

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>Oly E3<br>

FL-50R<br>

12-60mm lens<br>

HV-1 Battery pack and cable<br>

CB-02 TTL cable</p>

<p>Depending on the aperture and ISO you were using, the Lightsphere is going to drain quite a bit more power spreading the light all around and you may have come closer to the 10 full power shots in fast succession than you think if the aperture was small enough, especially with the high-octane, no-delay power pack.</p>

<p>I've used my E5 and FL50R with PowerEX AA rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydrides/Demb Bounce attachment and gotten through weddings with no recycle delays and no locked-up flash units. If you had the ISO locked at a low setting like 200 and were using smaller apertures, I wouldn't doubt at that, coupled with the Lightsphere use and lots of rapid succession shooting could have trigger the safety lockup on the flash, or even burned it up, even at moderate distances</p>

<p>Thx Mukul, and Greg. I was shooting at f/5.6 800 iso. This was the first time it has happened, so I had no clue what was up (missed some key moments, but my second got them...whew!) Fortunately, I had a second unit, and continued shooting. Wish Oly had some sort of notification to when the flash is overheated, but o well...Think I will go back to manual flash, and use a different modifier....what model Demb fits the FL50R? And whats the difference in performance wise between Powerex, and Enenloop batteries?</p>

<p>"... could have trigger the safety lockup on the flash, or even burned it up...". If there is a safety lockup, it should not be possible to burn it out. There appears to be no protection arrangement, for the manual only specifies the most flashes that should be had at different levels of output. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/esystem/man_fl50r_e.pdf</p>

<p>In the various other 4/3rds forums I read, I have read of several people who have abused their flash and had it shutdown due to over heating. There is the warning on page 44 of the fine manual that you should have no more than 10 back to back full power flashes in a row, and if you do, you should let the flash cool down for 10 minutes.</p>

<p>I think I recall only one person that actually fried the FL-50R flash, and the rest it worked again after letting it cool down. I have burned out a Promaster 5750DX flash through repeated firings with just rechargeable AA batteries, so back when I was using flash more, I figure not to get the SHLV-1, since it would just tempt me to go into papparazzi mode, and burn out the flash.</p>

<p>I've never used the eneloop cells, but you never hear anything bad about them. The PowerEX cells I have are 2700 mah and I picked them up with the PowerEX-branded charger that has the ability to fully discharge/recondition the cells every so many recharges. I initially bought 4 sets around 4-5 years ago and I just recently had to start replacing them. I've used them in everything from the flash units to an accessory battery pack for my iPod and had first-rate performance.</p>

<p>The Demb bounce attachment does not have specific models for specific flash units. The one I own on this page is the classic Flip-It..</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/">http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/</a></p>

<p>His flash bracket is also quite nice. I've used it quite a bit with my Olympus DSLR's, but not the Pens. With an E-M5 and the accessory battery pack it'd be about as good as it gets.</p>

<p>I've used the Flip-it with my FL50 and FL50R units, and it also works great now with the smaller FL600R I recently bought for my micro bodies.</p>