DA* 16-50mm SDM problems...again

pwithem

<p>Hello Pentax community,<br /> My 16-50mm SDM motor is failing again, for the 3rd time. So if I pay for repair, I will be on the 4th SDM motor, assuming each repair has been a motor swap out. I'm beside myself. The optics are nice and I want the WR feature, but I also want AF. Without an option to use the screw drive motor, the only future I can see is: (1) to accept that it's a MF lens, (2) continue to pay for yearly motor replacement, or (3) sell and replace with 3rd party non-WR option. </p>

<p>I'm not a professional photographer and photography is a hobby activity - which is partly to say that I don't exercise the 16-50 nearly enough to even remotely explain the regular SDM failures. Each motor is good for about 9 months, which includes maybe 4-5 outings of use. No African safari, no rain forests, no desert, but rather family get togethers and dayhikes.</p>

<p><br /> I'm leaning this time for option (3), but repair first and sell with full disclosure. This to me is just ridiculously unacceptable, but I don't feel I have any other recourse. What have other pentax SDM users done? Any inside info on why Pentax has never owned up to this? <br /> Pat</p>

<p>Pentax ARE YOU LISTENING? After 3 of the exact same problem I switched to Nikon.</p>

<p>Pat. Fix the lens, sell it as you said and get anything else. Btw, for your shooting WR is no big deal. I used my 16-45mm as a backup in all weather and never once had an issue, which included rain.</p>

<p>In actual truth, I don't take advantage of the WR that often. But, the 16-50 zoom range makes for the best all-purpose lens on a given outing, so it's nice to have that be the WR lens. Sigma has a new splash proof 12-24mm lens out that looks attractive, but apparently it won't accept filters. To me, that's a huge negative: wide angle lens w/o polarizing filter option? There are also the 17-50's from both Sigma and Tamron, which make for the obvious replacement choices.</p>

<p>Slightly divergent from the topic, but if I wanted WR on anything, it would be the pancakes. I have a DA15 mm and a DA40mm, both of which are attractive for single or multiday hiking/camping trips. In most cases I can get around WR, but I like the peace of mind that if I'm caught in sudden or even minimal and persistent rain, I don't need to mess with shielding my camera.</p>

<p>Patrick, go with third party. If you need any extra incentive, go check out the Flickr groups. The newest Sigma is an amazing lens, and if I were buying today it would be the one I own. As it were, I'm using the Tamron non-VC version on Nikon and loving it.</p>

<p>Peter, Nikon's option in this range is the 17-55mm f/2.8, which is . . . "unfortunately" sized and priced for a lens of its performance. I am rather surprised that such a lens single-handedly drew a convert.</p>

<p>I had my first one failed and fixed under warranty ( they replaced it) shortly after the my warranty was up my replacement died also. I didn’t even fix it I just sold it as is and cut my losses I still have my sigma 24 1.8 for indoor events but it would be nice to have a fast zoom. </p>

UsIng a Polarizer on anything much wider than 20-24mm or so isn't recommended, so don't let the lack OS a filter stop your

purchase. You can always get a sheet-style like a Lee and hold it in front of the lens. That's what I do with the few filters I still

use.

That Tamron is a very good lens if you get a copy that doesn't have back/front focusing issues. Maybe they fixed it, but in-

camera AF adjustment worked for me. Don't know about K-mount version, but the non-vc model is considered superior

optically.

ME

<p>Pat sorry to hear of your trials. Have you tried contacting Pentax directly about this ? They should be shamed into sorting you out at no charge. Time someone took them to the small claims court over unfit for purpose product. The bloody clowns just had to fess up about SDM and fix them, not pass their lack of development costs on to us...<br /> Pete</p>

<p>That's really horrible. Does Pentax offer any warranty on their repairs?</p>

<p>Frankly reviews suggest that the third party lenses are just as good (if not better) optically as well. At this point it pretty much has to be fixed whether you're keeping it or not but if Pentax isn't going to help you out after repeated failures I think it might be time to go third party. What good is the nice physical build quality if the guts aren't up to the task?</p>

<p>I haven't tried contacting Pentax directly, but it's worth a shot. I believe each repair is warrantied for something like 6 months. I'll have to check the paperwork. The last time around they didn't charge me, because it was so close to the end of their last repair. Which is nice, I guess, but I'm done with paying shipping and/or repair and having to go without the lens for a month or so. </p>

<p>Unless Pentax is to intervene in some phenomenal way, I'm leaning toward the Sigma equivalent of this lens. </p>

<p>Patrick, my impression is you do not employ this lens very often. Repeated failure under such low use is unforgivable. See if Pentax will fix it again free, since their previous repair work has failed you. Then I'd recommend selling this lens. </p>

<p>For the uses you describe, it does not sound like you need a lens that fast. I use my fast lens for times when I need the speed, like action shots and for lower light. I have a fast Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8, and though compact for its speed and range, I go with another, yet more lightweight lens for the uses you describe. </p>

<p>The one I have come to like and has done very well for me is the Pentax DA18-135mm. It has WR, is very well-built, and employs a newer, different silent AF system instead of SDM. AF is fast and accurate on my K-5. From 18-70mm it is a f/3.5-4.5 lens and produces exceptionally good imaging performance. in the range to 50mm it is just one stop off the DA* lens you have for speed, and with pretty comparable image quality. If your camera is a K-5, its capability at higher ISO settings will do a good job of compensating for that one stop. It does not go quite as wide as the DA* 16-50mm, but can go a lot longer if needed. You've already got your 15mm Limited for more critical ultra wide work. I did not get which camera model you have, but such a nice, well-built compact WR zoom lens goes nicely with a compact K-5 body and a couple of super-compact Limiteds. <br>

</p>

<p>It could actually be the electric motors in the lens.</p>

<p>My understanding is they maintain a charge for some time. When the charge dissipates the lens "fails". The best way to avoid this is to use the lens more often. </p>

<p>I've actually had this happen with my 50-135mm, what I do is put it on the camera. Turn the camera on. And let it sit for a little while with the powersave feature turned off. After about 10 minutes I hit the AF button and hold it down, the motor tries it's hardest to spin but just barely moves the lens. A few minutes later the lens is working.</p>

<p>As with my focus rotation fix (rotating to infinity and near focus and past both ends multiple times) I only have done this about 2-3 times in 5 years. </p>

<p>However, if your lens is actually failing, then my guess is Pentax isn't replacing the entire motor assembly but rather a single part.</p>

<p> </p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I've had a happy ending to my problem with the DA16-50 and thought I would share. First of all, I didn't get rid of it. Initially, I was torn as to what I might get to replace it. There were a couple of good candidate lenses, in particular a Sigma "splash proof" 12-24mm that is yet to be available. The hardest thing was going to be giving up my only WR lens. Aside from this, I had other things going on and didn't want to be distracted with lens management. So, I didn't do anything and let the issue sit. </p>

<p>Flash forward to now, I just did a search to see if anyone had managed to modify the firmware, allowing either SDM or screwdrive focus. As it happens, someone has! Seems to be only in the last month or so, so still recent news. The procedure changes the firmware of the LENS itself, and locks it to screw drive focus only, unless you restore the old firmware. So, you can then put it on any Pentax body, and it will screw drive focus. </p>

<p>In practice, the procedure was very easy to do, although it doesn't seem you can carry it out on a K-5 due to needing access to certain debug menu options. I used a K-x. The result: my DA16-50 now autofocuses again! And it's faster than the SDM ever was. Do I feel regret that I will never enjoy SDM again? Answer: no! After three SDM failures, the reality is that it was never a viable feature to begin with, at least for this lens. Now I get to keep a lens I like, and have it work!</p>

<p><br />For anyone interested in doing the same, below is a link to the instructions and a link to a youtube video (not mine) showing the result. The instructions are a little unclear due to translation, but it becomes apparent as you go along. If anyone needs clarity, I'd be happy to help. </p>

<p>http://www.pentaxiste.org/pratique/depannage/article/how-to-deactivate-sdm-and-allow?var_mode=calcul</p>

<p>