Fuji's Wind-up Wonder

<p>Rick, another great post as usual. And this time of such an interesting camera. Its somewhat of a coincidence but just today on craigslist I came across a Minolta Autopak 800 that had a wind up mechanism for advancing the film. How completely odd.</p>

<p>I rather like Phoenix Palms. Something very timeless about it.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses and information, <strong>Marc;</strong> we'll have to appoint you the official archivist. The old ads are fascinating and I'll have to admit that I'd completely overlooked the Fujica Mini, though I'd read about the camera. <strong>John</strong>, thanks for the warning about the clockwork; I've read similiar warnings for other spring-powered cameras. Apparently the power in a fully-wound spring is quite frightening. As I was a little worried about the age of the mechanism I never wound it fully, but gave it a tweak-up every now and then. Eighteen to twenty shots seems to be the usual expectation, fully wound. Interesting about the "woman in the viewfinder", <strong>Mike</strong>. She's certainly not the usual little Japanese babe. I'd love to do a series on illustrations from the instruction manuals of CMC's. I'm always impressed by your huge knowledge of, and experience with, the older cameras.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>JDM</strong>; it's sometimes a struggle to produce something postable but it's great to know one's efforts are appreciated. Incidentally, ID-11 is pretty much Ilford's equivalent of D-76; the formulae are almost identical. Thanks, <strong>Craig</strong>, it's nice when I realise someone is insightful enough to discern how these "product" pics come about, a little trivial though they be. The Phoenix palms are quite a feature of our suburban gardens, <strong>David</strong>, usually far too large by now for their surroundings. They do impart a sort of 1950's look. And thanks, <strong>SP</strong>, for your usual valued input.</p>

<p>For just those reasons you mentioned, I have never been interested in half-fryme 35mm. A few years bak a colleague bought a LOMO half frame ... she was so excited to show me... I was less so but bit my lip! You have of course done an amazing shoot and the depth is phenomenal! You mentioned a better film.. 100 should be right , Did you mean something like Tech-Pan? I do like mechanical stuff so this spring might of been to hard to resist! That sidewalk apex could be here in West Germany same masonry! </p>

<p>Being a bit of a sucker for gadgetry myself, I think you'd enjoy the Drive, <strong>Chuck. </strong>The Rollei RPX 100 does have quite a fine grain, but it's very much the "traditional" grain, sharp and gritty when compared to some of the newer emulsions, such as Ilford Delta 100. I like both, but for the small half-frame format the smoother emulsion might have been better. </p>