Rolleiflex 2.8 f Gossen match needle meter advice

laura_adams2

<p>Hello again Rolleiflex experts,<br>

I have in my possession a Rolleiflex TLR serial number 2465247 in lovely condition. <br>

My question is regarding the meter. (Oh yes another one!) <br>

It has an attached Gossen match needle meter which does not appear to be working. I am aware this is a common issue of cameras of this age. I've also searched for information on Rolleiflex TLR light meters and have found limited information available in the user manuals published online. Attached to the side of the meter is a small serrated circular dial which has the option of either what I think is a symbol for b/w, followed by the letters Col. and the picture of a light fitting (obviously for indoor light) and the next setting is Col. with what I presume to be a symbol for outdoors light. <br>

In all my reading I have not come across any mention of a function such as this, just "match the needles by changing the shutter speed until the needles align". <br>

Another question I have as a newcomer to the wonderful Rolleiflex TLR camera is regarding the focus screen. When I use the focus adjuster to advance the lens board part of the view finder is obscured (about 1/2 a centimetre), e.g. when focused at infinity it blocks the bottom of the focus screen & when focused at 1m, it blacks out the top. Is this typical of the camera? <br>

I have just purchased the camera and have the option to return it, so any advice on testing it would be fantastic. <br>

Many thanks for your help! <br>

Kind regards, Laura </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your camera is a 2.8F from the mid 1960s. If the meter is working, when you look at the knob on the left as you hold the camera as if you are going to take a picture, there is a needle that should move in response to light. There on the same knob is another needle with a circle on the end and that should move as you turn either the shutter speed dial or the f stop dial on the front of the camera. So theoretically you would turn the dials till the circle is exactly over the other needs and then the exposure would be correct. There is a filter factor on the large black dial at the bottom of the left side of the camera. You should see where it says 1, 2, or 3. (I think, I am not looking at a camera) you should set that filter factor to 0 and then set the ASA as an ISO number.<br>

A lot of those meters from that era are still working. I have owned 4 or 5 cameras like yours and the meters worked in all of them. It isn't a particularly precise meter as it is reading a broad range of light from the sensor on the top of the front under the Rolleiflex name. <br>

I hope yours is all well in all ways and you enjoy your great camera.</p>

<p>Pull the cover of the meter lightly outwards and see if the needle reacts to light. As the meter is somewhat exposed on the side of the camera it tends to get bumped into things and the tolerances are so small that the needle binds on the cover.<br>

<a href=" 2.8F

<p>If the meter needle does not respond to light, then either the selenium cell is dead, or the wiring on the meter movement has become open circuit. In theory, the selenium cell should last forever, but sometimes the sealing cracks. Air and moisture allows oxidation to occur. Enough of this deterioration, and the cell dies.</p>

<p>The wiring of the meter movement is extremely fine, and covered with shellac. In extreme temperatures, the shellac may contract enough to snap the meter movement wires.</p>

<p>The solution is to replace the cell and the meter readout. Both are usually matched to each other.</p>

<p>Contact Krikor Maralian (Krimar Photo). You'll have to Google for the full contact information.<br>

He replaced the meter cell and movement on my 3.5F for $250.<br>

These are valuable cameras, and well worth restoring.</p>

<p>Laura, the dial you've described is simply a reminder of what film type is loaded; B&W or Colour, Tungsten or Daylight type colour film. This reminder dial has nothing to do with the operation of the meter, and a similar dial was a common attachment on many cameras of that era, whether they had a built-in meter or not. Retina IIIc 35mm cameras, for example, carry such a dial on top of the rewind knob.</p>