Here it goes... diving into my first wedding!

mj_isaacs

I'm shooting my first wedding not tomorrow but the next day!!!

For the past 2 years I have been professionally shooting family/children photography. This is my first dip into the wedding world and I couldn't be more excited and nervous! I met with the couple about 10 months ago and explained that I have never shot a wedding before and was only able to show them samples of family/senior/children work that I have done in the past. We clicked (get it? clicked? ;) really well and they decided to book with me.

In the past 10 months to prepair for the wedding I have:

*Gone through the photo.net boards reading everything I can get my hands on

* Read the 378 page book "Digital Wedding Photography, Capturing Beautiful Memories" By glen Johnson cover to cover

* Read "The wedding Photographer's planner"( I don't have the author's name.) A few times

* Feel comfortable shooting in full Manual mode

* Scoured Thousands of photos trying to help me see what makes a great wedding photo

* I was able to attend a dance recital (where my sister is a teacher at) and had permission to shoot all I wanted as long as I never used flash. This gave my 90 min from the balcony and 90 minute shooting in the wings to practice my low light photography (the lights change for each dance!)

*Gather lists from various online forums of what former brides liked most / disliked most from their wedding photography (I was surprised how much I learned from that!)

* Continue to shoot families and children and trust my instincts and learn new skills and techniques

*Since the couple wasn't having a traditional rehersal, we met at the venue, walked through the process of the day and I have a complete list/schedule of the wedding day.

So... after all of this, when I think of the wedding why does this extreme nervousness rise up in me? Most of the time I'm just so thrilled and excited, but then I just feel overwhelmed later on! I read these posts of newbies doing a wedding and everyone just shakes their heads.... somehow I feel all these newbie posts aimed at me! I honestly feel well prepared and have everything I possibly could do to be ready for this day. I guess my question is just... how nervous were you the first time you shot a wedding? Is this normal? Any last little odd or important pieces of advice? I would greatly appreciate it!

<p>I think you have done more than what most newbies would do for the first gig. The only thing I would say is that wedding photography is just photography, nothing more and nothing less. </p>

<p>When I shot my first one, I ddin't do a fraction of what you did and somehow I just knew what to do, what shot to take, how to talk to the family and how to take charge. I guess this is a job that you either get it from day one or you don't. And from what you wrote, I think you got it. So relax and just do it.</p>

<p>Before my first wedding alone, I had been a second photographer, but the nervousness was still there up to the point where I doubted every single technique that I had planned to use that day and busied myself with the list of the events, over and over again.<br>

I set up my lightings, got to the bride's dressing room, shot some trials, had some good laughs with them, listened to some jokes they made about the groom, and the rest was history.<br>

Good luck, I hope you'll have the best of times.</p>

<p>Thanks so much all, I'll try to just take the day one step at a time and remember to enjoy it. I guess wedding photography is like one giant photoshoot that encompasses just about everything you know!<br>

I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!! How do you full time wedding wedding photographers deal with photo high? :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How do you full time wedding wedding photographers deal with photo high?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm not full time but I do basically go to one wedding a week the whole summer. After a while, like 5 weddings, I'm not excited before the wedding anymore. So there's no photo high for me. If I get to shoot Will and Kate's wedding that's a different story. But most weddings are just another wedding for me.</p>

<p>Anyway the photo high for me on my first wedding immediately disappeared when I stepped into the bridle room. It was an intimidating experience to walk into a room full of strangers and try to take pictures.</p>

<p>Since you had 10 months to prepare - why didn't you assist actual wedding photographers? A wedding is nothing like photographing families where you have time, do-overs and what not. So wedding photography is NOT "just" photography.</p>

<p>As for me, I'm still excited before every wedding - that's after close to 20 years. I figure if I ever lose that, it's just a gig and I better figure out how to make it exciting again. Or find another job where people's "big day" is not just another gig for me for a paycheck. </p>

<p>Hi Meg! Haha, I used to get a migraine after EVERY wedding I shot! That was years ago, though, and now I see weddings as just another photo job. :) The tension can be really high, and there is definitely more potential for chaos at a wedding than at most other shoots; but keep your common sense intact, keep a smile on your face, and you'll get through it fine! :) Everyone has to start somewhere!</p>

<p>A last little bit of advice: wedding days move really quickly, so secure the "safe shots" first. For example, get the nice smiley portrait first, take the simple dance shot first, get the standard ceremony shot first, etc. After you've secured that "safe" (boring?) photo, THEN move on to making more creative images. There's more room for error when you're trying too hard to be creative in an unfamiliar situation, so give yourself a break and focus on the more straightforward images first. :)</p>

<p>To echo Anne's comment, those safe shots at first weren't of that much interest to me because they were generally boring shots. But when it comes time to do the album, the clients often pick a lot of the safe and boring family portraits over the more artsy shots. The lesson I learned is that just because some shots are boring to me, they could be of high value to the clients.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Make sure you have enough insurance - and you'll be well advised to add indemnity insurance as well if you haven't already got it. </p>

<p>It sounds obvious, but wear your most comfortable shoes and make sure you have access to water and regular snacks to keep your sugar up. Take a spare top in case something gets spilled on you. Take more cards and batteries than you think you will need. Take a copy of the contract/paperwork with you, in case you have to point anything out to your clients, including a copy of your insurance certificate should the venue request to see it. Double check your ISO each time you move from inside to out and vice versa. Make sure your voice is friendly and firm when directing the groups, and can be heard - you need to be in control. </p>

You have some great experience with posing. Remember to use these talents when shooting the formals.

Also make a check list. Things can move sooo fast, because of the lack of time; the wedding parties being late. If you forget something you can re-shoot the missing shots after the ceremony.

The short list for formals -

Bride alone, groom alone, brides family, grooms family, bride with parent, together and apart, using your posing techniques. same with the gooms side, look out for divorced families. The wedding party, the girls, the guys, all together, then the whole families, aunts grandparents, out of the state and often the country family and friends, all together and with each family, A shot of each bridesmaid with the bride, same with the grooms side.

Take lots of fun shots, some you create most PJ style.

The church - a must - the bride walking down, most likely with her dad. Take several. Look for emotiom from everyone - tears, hugs. You should should the bridesmaids and the kid,s flower girls whatever. Don't freak out if you miss something, you can get the kids with the B&G later, and the kids with thier parents. Again don't worry if you miss this.

Inside, The B&G entering, the toast, the blessing, first dance, parents dance, a few shots of the money dance, PJ style of everyone dancing, the cake alone then when they eat the cake, the throwing of the flowers, the garter throw, the going away shot.

If you get these you will be the hero of the wedding and expect some future wedding referrals.

Remember this list!

I sell albums, enlargements, frames, whatever, and most often make more money with these reorders the actual expected coverage cost.

<p>I still get excited before every wedding I photograph, and I'm doing 15+ a year at this point. I don't get nervous really, but connecting with my clients and sensing their excitement gets me pretty amped. I think if I ever stop feeling at least some sense of excitement, it will probably be time for me to stop doing weddings.</p>