Upgrade Advise Needed From 1D2

paul_giovanni

<p>So here we are with yet another long "help me" post.<br>

I'm not a pro, though some of my work has seen commercial applications in brochures and billboards.<br>

Just to keep the discussion as narrow as I can, here is what I currently have:<br /> 1. 1D2<br /> 2. a good copy of a 28-70 f/2.8L<br /> 3. 50mm f/1.8II<br /> 4. 17-40 f/4L<br>

I currently shoot landscapes/cityscapes (I use the 17-40 for the times I have to go wide, though the 28-70 gets some use every now and then) and portraits (the 50 really goes well here, except for the horrible OOF highlights, and the 28-70 also works here). Nothing else.<br>

I used to shoot sports with a 70-200, but that was a long time ago and it was the reason I got the 1D2. I have no intentions of going back.<br>

Most, if not all, of my gear was sourced from the second hand market. I live in a small island somewhere in the Middle East, so you could imagine what the "market" for freelance photographers would be, and thus I cannot justify the cost of new stuff just yet, but I try to look for good or highly regarded equipment from reputable shops online. <br>

The 1D2 continues to serve me quite well; but there comes a point wherein you're standing in front of the billboard and ask yourself "Is 8MP still enough for me?". Moreover, shooting high ISO with the 1D2 becomes a pain, so I typically borrow a friend's 50D if I have to shoot at ISO 1600. I have never shot higher than that.<br>

I dont want to overspend; that is, I would like to spend at MOST 1200USD. I have no plans of turning into a full-time photographer, but would still like to be able to produce something good or on par with the newer cameras whenever I get called up. <br>

The devil in me says that I should sell everything and then move to digital MF since the prices are dropping like crazy. I was tempted by an offer I saw on fleabay for a used digital MF rig for 3-4K USD.<br>

The realist in me says that I should just upgrade the body. My search results on fleabay indicate that used 1Ds2 and 7D cameras arent too far off from each other. You could make a case for the xxDs as well.<br>

Anyways, this has dragged on long enough, so here are the bare necessities:<br>

1. Resolution at the neighborhood of 15-18MP (essentially, anything above 10MP)<br /> 2. Decent (relatively) ISO performance<br /> 3. The more selectable AF points, the better</p>

<p>Hi Yakim,<br>

<br />Well, the selectable AF does help when shooting portraits with shallow DOF. I have a habit of shooting at around 2.8 or 3.2, while focusing on the eyes.<br>

I find it easier to select an AF point in the viewfinder then compose (as compared to using the center AF point and then re-framing the shot). Doing so has increased my keeper rate, but maybe that's just one of the nuances of my shooting style.<br>

<br />So its two votes for the 5D2. I checked out fleabay, and though the prices are slightly higher, I think I could go for it.</p>

<p>A cheap 1Ds2 would be a no-brainer - basically the same camera but with a bigger sensor and slightly higher pixel density, giving about twice as many pixels. But the high ISO performance is unlikely to be better. You should be able to get one for less than a used 5D2.</p>

<p>5D2 is your winner. Prices have dropped and a used one can be had for around $1500 USD or less. 21 MP (is that enough?) and great high ISO performance. Also full frame to take advantage of your wide lens and billboard sized enlargements. Seems like no contest to me. If you really like the 1D series, the 1D III is a great bargain and a good ISO performer, but <em>only</em> 10MP. I love this camera. The 1DS II is also a great camera; 16MP FF and the 1 series body. The only downside to the 1DS II is the older style batteries, but you already have some for your 1D II (same body, just FF vs. 1.3x). I don't know about ISO performance, but I would expect it to be about the same as the 1D II. The 5D II is clearly the best bang for the buck currently for Canon. I don't know how set you are on the 1 series, but I don't see much competition for the 5D2. I shoot the 1 series and know how hard it is to go back, but for your purposes, I think the advantages of the 5D2 far outweigh those of the 1D III or 1DS II.</p>

<p>Hi Guys,</p>

<p>Thanks for the inputs.<br>

Nathan, I'd be lying if I said that I'm not endeared with the 1-series, though when I first got one, I wasn't thinking like that. It just grows on you in a strange way, and I find the weight comforting when shooting in less than ideal situations. I've come to love the 1D after cussing myself due to the weight and all. <br>

Also, Ed, Scott (and Nathan as well), thanks for pointing out that I already have the infrastructure for the 1Ds2 and it should factor into my decision as well.<br>

Alan, hearing that from someone with a 1Ds somehow points to the strengths of the 5D2.<br>

So I guess its back to scouring for prices for either. But if something has to give, its got to be ISO performance. I guess I can live shooting at a max of ISO 800. <br>

Hope I find something that matches my budget.<br>

Thanks again to all.</p>