Here is the results from my first wedding. (thoughts and Pics)

Alex

<p>I like to thank you all for the feedback I got from you prior to the event. Here are 2 treads with the questions I had and you all helped a lot.<br>

http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00aR3p<br>

http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00aMfT</p>

<p><br />Here is a link with some of the pictures I got from that wedding. (I'D APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT AND FEEDBACK)<br>

http://alexephotos.com/2012/06/25/wedding-pictures-at-calamigos-ranch/</p>

<p>When I got to the venue 45 min early I scouted the area and came up with quite a few ideas as far as settings, poses equipment and scenarios. The bride and groom were going to get there ready as far as make up, hair and just about everything else. As soon as they arrived everything started happening very fast (faster than I thought) she got out of the limo rushed into a room with some of the maid of honor and mom jumped into her dress and I started shooting. In less than 5 min I realized that all my lighting set ups and ideas were not going to work. I guess that is my first lesson, less is more. I thought I was going to have more time to try different things and use more creative lighting but I can see that that comes with more experience and this is not the place nor time to experiment.<br>

I decided to go for plan B, either using a bare 580EXII on top of the cameras, auto white balance and aperture priority or setting the wizards to manual and use a strobe (Einstein) as main and shooting everything in manual mode. I did a bit of both for the rest of the day.<br>

I ended the day with 1325 pictures, 98 of those were totally unusable, and from the remaining ones I kept about 450 that I will give to the bride and groom. 953 Pictures came out of the 5D Mark III and 372 from the 7D. I used the 24-70 F2.8L on the 5D all the time and the 70-200 F2.8 IS L on the 7D for most of the pictures except when I used the EF-S 10-22 a bit for the dance floor and the 100 macro for some table details. As far a processing the files, I did mainly crop and color balance corrections as well as global changes with lightroom, (the ones with the desaturated look were processed as duplicates just in case the bride and groom did not like the effect, therefore they can pick what they like best) once they pick the ones that are going to the book or are going to be enlarge I'll finish those on CS5. <br>

Perhaps the best lesson to learn from the first wedding was how fast everything goes, there is not much time to foul around with complicated set ups or fighting with the equipment. Having an assistant was fantastic, I used the Einstein light, with the vagabond pack and a 22" silver dish a lot that day, either on a c stand or on a stick held by the assistant. This bigger light was fantastic for the tables shots, the group pictures and just about everything else. <br>

Overall the experience was great. I enjoyed it a lot. The bride and family already saw about 90 of the images and they loved them. I can see how experience will free the photographer from playing catch up and going nuts over technical stuff and let me focus more to work creatively developing a style.<br>

Regards<br>

Alex</p>

<p>That's a pretty good first wedding - well done! I'll be honest and say that your style is not really what I would do, but I'm not you...what I can say is that I think you need to be more consistent in your post processing. Some images from the same moment were cooler and others warmer...<br>

Apart from that, you seem to have the right gear and enthusiasm, so the rest will come with experience. All the best.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there is not much time to foul around with complicated set ups or fighting with the equipment.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd been to a top tog's seminar and all he uses was an on camera flash most of the time. He charges 5 figure at least to shot a full day. Less is more is definitely right. It might make us feel better and more professional to have someone holding a reflector all day. But it actually makes the subjects more tense. These are normal people and not models. Sometimes, having me chasing them with two cameras and big lenses is already more attention than they ever wanted already.</p>

<p>I started out like you did thinking all these fancy lighting techniques. But not, I shoot pretty minimalist.</p>

<p>Alex, once you get more familiar with the flow of a wedding and anticipating what's about to happen, you can expand your ideas regarding use of lighting ... or when not to use it.</p>

<p>Some top shooters do not use lighting or very little, not even simple on-camera ... like Jeff Ascough. Others are masters of supplemental lighting ... like Bruce H. Dorn.</p>

<p> </p>

First off you did well for your first wedding. Your formal posing needs some refinement. Watch the hands, feet, and mainly make sure everyone is looking at you, unless you were looking for that PJ style. Take a few shots of the larger groups and don't be afraid to get everyones attention, yelling, doing flips, whatever it takes! Don't be shy here. I had that problem when I started out, mainly with kids. I do whatever I can to get them to look into the camera. Kids are hard to get their attention and the adults most likely think I just got out of a nut house! This experience came from photographing schools with very young kids, 4 and 5 year olds. I gave up that work, but for those interested it pays very well. Look for private schools. It's hard to get into public schools.

The bridge area, or whatever the overhanging is was indeed a perfect spot for the shots you took and most of them looked good. You have a very good eye for beauty. When lighting up the veils of brides it's pretty much a must in most situations to bang off a flash. This evens out the harsh lighting. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a fan of lens flare, but in some cases it's fine to take a few shots. Some people like that look, of course others don't, so it's a good idea to take a few just to please the couple.

Your candids were very nice. Excellent work with the close ups of the rings. That doesn't get much better. Very few pros can get the ring shots as well as you did. I need to clarify this. Most pros don't get the chance at weddings to do this because of the limited area in which they can shoot. You have a nice style and look forward to seeing more work.

Be careful with outdoor lighting. Don't let the sun take over parts of the faces, or even the entire face. Too harsh. A flash unit in general is not powerful enough, unless you are usng a flash unit around 800 watt seconds. None of us want to carry something that heavy. I have a 400 watt sec. package and it's almost always left at home. In fact it's sitting right in front of me, next to the computer and it's been here for a year. One of these days I'll get it repaired!

Well this is my honest truth so work a bit on lighting, posing things like that. You will be a fine photographer in the near future.

For me lighting and posing are what makes a wedding great. Top camera gear is great, but it's not the answer to great pics.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond

kam

Sara

Green

David

Dave G

Dave W

Sam

And Bob.

Sara I noticed the white balance variance that you mentioned when all the pictures are next to each other. Some images

have being processed and shot totally different from the rest as an alternative/variety for the bride and groom. Once they

pick the ones I'll review the WB. (thanks for your opinions)

Mark I'll check the photographers that you mentioned.

Sam. I have been shooting for many years (over 20) but in the past 6 or 7 I got pretty deep as far a learning, practicing

and equipment where I felt comfortable diving into this wedding.

The one thing I made sure I did before we committed to each other I told them that I wanted to do the engagement

pictures free of chargeand to make sure they like the style.

Bob. Thanks for your great review, pretty detailed. I could not agree with you more as far as lighting and posing. That is

one area that I've been paying more attention lately and one of the reasons why I have some shots with flare in it (seems

like many people care for the look) I'm one the side lines on that one, I don't mind the look at all but still favor the more

contrasty look, so for this set of pictures I did take some with flare and most without.

Regards,

Alex

<p>I have read the previous two threads and a detailed viewing of the Wedding Images you have posted.</p>

<p>Your comments on this thread contain very valuable information, for you: it was a good exercise you writing that – re read what you have written and also review the Wedding Photos and ask: “Why did this or that, happen?”</p>

<p>***</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>(I'D APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT AND FEEDBACK)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In no particular order of importance, you might like to consider the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>In the Prep shots – Mum and Bride and the next two or three, there seems to be a Magenta Cast.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>The EFFECT the Desaturation has on pallor – especially the Bride: for example image “2191” is a beautifully framed and balanced shot which is strongly feminine and quite appropriately sensual. One questions why that particular image would be chosen for de-saturatation, to render Her pallor such?</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>To have a little more continuity throughout <strong>The Presentation</strong> of the product: for example you have two ring exchange shots one after the other and the Colour Balance of the two is so totally different - the Groom’s suit in one is Brown and in the other, it is Blue.</li>

</ul>

<p>Noted – <em>“(the ones with the desaturated look were processed as duplicates just in case the bride and groom did not like the effect, therefore they can pick what they like best)” </em>But I am referring to the Presentation of the Whole Product.</p>

<ul>

<li>Watch out with the use of the wide angle – for example it occurs to me image “6m9a3567” could have been better managed: I’d guess you were using the 7D and the 10 to 22 to pull that shot and the B/Maid camera right has her head being dragged out a bit. I’d also guess you are a bit taller than those Women in the shot and or there was small incline in that path – when using the wide remember the Camera Elevation is important.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Mentioning also that image “6m9a3567” (and also other images) you managed the dappled sunlight light, quite well.</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>In some of the BACKLIT shots – for example “6m9a3911” – it occurs to me that you might be a tad UNDERexposed for correct skin tones. (About a stop and a half under, I think).</li>

</ul>

<ul>

<li>Some of the Group shots are not fully co-ordinated. What I mean is, for example in “6M9A3565” it is apparent you have communication and rapport with the B&G – but not so much with a couple of the B/Maids and one G/man.</li>

</ul>

<p>(Noted: <em>“As soon as they arrived everything started happening very fast (faster than I thought))”</em></p>

<ul>

<li>It appears you had more Rapport with the Bride than the Groom, and or she relaxed more quickly than he: that’s common – consider addressing that.</li>

</ul>

<p>***</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Perhaps the best lesson to learn from the first wedding was how fast everything goes . . . I can see how experience will free the photographer from playing catch up and going nuts over technical stuff and let me focus more to work creatively developing a style.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you wish to continue with this, you might consider <strong><em>initially</em></strong> setting yourself a few (technical) rules, to allow you to explore, The Creative.<br /> As an example, the first group of Weddings I shot, the Owner of the Studio who employed me BANNED ¾ Shots and also BANNED using anything wider than a 35mm lens (on a 135 format film camera . . .<br /> Extreme? Maybe.<br /> But he had reasons and the overwhelming reason was the keep the Photographer reasonable “safe” when shooting under the pressure of time – and that meant his Product was also reasonably “safe”.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>Good job.</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p>PS:I also apologize for being a tad late to give feedback – It was my full<br />intention to do so a week ago, but I did not have adequate time and quiet space<br />before this Monday morning, (down here).</p>

William. I appreciate the time you spend to look at the images and put your thoughts in here. Your feed back is

welcomed and does make sense.

The first Set of group shots was on our way to the a larger more comfortable area to shoot the actual group pictures. I've

tried photograph a different view of the group in that location since I did like the place but it was quite small for as many

people, therefore as you mentioned I did not addressed the whole party since I did not see the possibility to organized

everyone there. Thankfully, I have scouted the place prior to the people getting there and I found a nice place to take the

group shots. That is when we started going down a small slope and that is when I took those pictures of the b/m holding

the brides dress ( canon 5DIII with a Ef 24/70 ) I can check the focal length of the image but chances are it was taken at

24mm.

I now like to check on the backlit images histogram to see the exposure but you can very well be right about them. Since

everything is said and done as fas as the event I can look back at the images and think what could I have done

differentlyand use that for the next one.

Overall I can't complaint about the whole event. The couple is very happy with their images so far, I'll work more on the

white balance once they pic their images to deliver a more consistent look. ( as much as they might not even notice that, I

do and I want to give them the best quality I'm capable off)

Once again thank for your time and your constructive feedback.

Regards,

Alex

<p>. . . one key point I noticed, but forgot to mention was:<br /> A long time ago - maybe three or four years ago, I looked through your portfolio: I specifically remember doing that because you have the Flags of the World on your Member's page - also I remembered that you liked woodworking and it seems a passion for pens - which I also share.<br>

<br /> Many of your images reminded me of woodworking techniques, that is to say, many of your images are planned; thought out and then crafted within YOUR timeframe and under YOUR control of that timeframe.</p>

<p>The fact that you mentioned on several occassions you were surprised how fast the Wedding progressed, even though you were prepared for "fast", indicates to me that an area in your Photrography that would benefit raising your skill levels is pushing yourself to manage (the Subjects) and shoot under the pressure of time.<br /> I think the more you stretch yourself outside your comfort zone of working at a controlled pace, the quicker you will realize that you actualy already have many of the skills necessary and those skills and techinique will begin to flow without thinking too much about them.<br /> You could set yourself exercises to practice shooting under the pressure of time: I encourage you to do that.</p>

<p>Regards,<br /> William</p>

<p>William, sorry it took me so long to reply to you.<br>

You are totally correct. I do like woodworking a lot and I normally take my time to work on things and as much as we all like our comfort zone, taking too much time on this kind of events is far from advantageous. I feel that a few more weddings will allow me to get more familiar with the flow of events.<br>

Again thanks a lot for the input you've given me, it is quite valuable and will work with some of your ideas.<br>

Regards,<br>

Alex</p>