d700 firmware update

pge

<blockquote>

<p>I applied the update and the front of my camera now reads D900. What gives?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Didn't they also ask for your credit card number? This firmware upgrade converts your D700 to a D900, and they charge $4000 to your card. 36MP is not enough; after the conversion, it is now 48MP. :-)</p>

<p><em>"An issue that, in some very rare cases, caused images to be extremely under-exposed has been resolved"</em><br>

I have never had this problem, other than some user error moments. Nevertheless I did the update and all went well. Although I haven`t checked my Paypal account.<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thanks for the link. BTW, an update to fix a problem that I`ve never been aware of: <em>"An issue that, in some very rare cases, caused images to be extremely under-exposed has been resolved"</em>. I`m lucky.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have had my D700 for over three and half years, and I too have never run into such "very rare case." To me, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.</p>

<p>I have never had the problem either nor did I have any of the issues addressed in the 1.01 to 1.02 update. I am just going to keep my camera with the most current firmware. I think Vlad makes a good point, and besides the update is free. I update photoshop everytime too, and they always want money.</p>

<p>Meh. I'm waiting for the Nikon hacker crowd to crack the D700 (and, ideally D800/D800E) encryption. It's not my fault, I've given Nikon my feature request list and offered to add features pro bono...<br />

<br />

(Although if anyone finds any new functionality other than the bug fix and the obvious extra 24MP, I'll be interested. Especially if it's the ability to map the ISO to a programmable button. Broken record, broken record, broken record...)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have had my D700 for over three and half years, and I too have never run into such "very rare case." To me, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.</p>

</blockquote>

This is obvious good advice. The other side of the argument is that manufacturers are notoriously less than candid about the full set of changes, so perhaps there is some real issue that the upgrade fixes...though if there was, we would probably have had endless threads about it? Dunno. BTW, the US instructions have an amusing (maybe) typo in one section where it refers to the D7000. (It is a typo...I went ahead and did the upgrade and all seems to function as expected...)

<blockquote>

<p>To me, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't fix it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I just think this is funny advice to a community of people who run out and buy the latest and greatest camera when their previous camera works like the day they bought it. Now suddenly, if it aint broke, don`t fix it. I am not excluding myself from this group btw.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just think this is funny advice to a community of people who run out and buy the latest and greatest camera when their previous camera works like the day they bought it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why do you think this is funny advice? While my D300 was the greatest Nikon DX-format DSLR back in 2007 when I bought it, and it is just as good today as it was 4.5 years ago, other DSLRs have surpassed it, significantly. Today, I by far prefer the D7000. So while my D300 is as good as new, now I have seen better cameras so that I am no longer satisfied with the D300.</p>

<p>This particular D700 firmware upgrade apparently fixes a very rare exposure problem, so rare that I have never run into it in almost 4 years using my D700. And in some rare cases, a firmware upgrade at home can fail, putting the camera in an unuseable state so that you need to send it back to Nikon for repair. That is very rare but I have seen cases, especially a few years ago, a Canon 20D firmware upgrade had a glitch, and a bunch of people had to send their 20D back to Canon: <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/2004/10/7/canon_eos20dfw105">http://www.dpreview.com/news/2004/10/7/canon_eos20dfw105</a></p>

<p>So I weight the benefits againsts the risks. If this particular firmware upgrade has some distinct benefits, I would go for it. But as the way it is, IMO it is not worth the tiny bit of risk in my opinion.</p>

<p>Finally, I would like to point out that firmware upgrades at home should be 99.99% safe. Therefore, people should not be afraid to perform firmware upgrade at home. When there are glitches such as that Canon 20D one, usually they are discovered in the first few days. Therefore, if you can wait a week or so, the risk goes further down.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Why do you think this is funny advice?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In this world of update update update, both software and hardware, it just seems to me funny that in this very particular case the advice was don`t update. Really this is a very small matter, as you say "rare case" so it doesn`t really matter, probably not even a little. Its just the thought process that I found funny. If it matters to anyone, I did it, the camera would not allow it because my battery was not full, I replaced my battery and proceeded with the update. All went fine.</p>

<p>It strikes me, as others have said, that this circumstance is so rare, that it <strong><em>can't</em></strong> be the only problem it addresses. Has anyone here even heard of this bug? </p>

<p>I'll be using my D700 on the usual subjects this weekend and shall look out for any changes. Over exposure is my usual problem, probably user caused, but nevertheless, I'll try putting it on 0EV compensation...rather than the -0.3>-0.7EV I have it on usually!</p>

<p> </p>