Upgrading from a D70s

User_1891539

<p>It's time to move on from my old D70s (which I will be keeping as a spare or backup). Mostly I just shoot travel and family pictures, but about 20 per cent is sports and wildlife which is where the D70s is least capable. I am happy with my current lens lineup: 16-85mm VR, 70-300mm VR, 35mm AFS are the lenses I usually use, but I also have some of the older screwdriver type lenses including a Tokina 12-24 and the old 28-105. The latter pair can be a very effective travel combo.<br>

Some planned travel involves being in potentially less than ideal climates, such as Death Valley or going around Cape Horn (on a cruise ship, thanks). So weight and build quality are also issues.<br>

At today's prices, the D5100 is exactly<em> twice</em> the cost of a D7000. Which means I could buy a D5100, use it up, throw it away, and buy another D5100, and come out $4 ahead. I realize the D7000 is a more capable camera, but is it twice as good, and given the price difference, does the D7000 still represent a better value? I would also consider a used good condition D300. The D300's weight isn't a factor, my favorite film SLR was and still is the N90s.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Main advantage for you of a D7k over D5.1k is that the D7k works with every AI+ lens - a few like old school fish eyes and such. So your "screw" type AF lenses will work. And it metes with AI-AIs lenses and gives meta data as well through programming that info in.<br /> <br />Other advantage is two command dials which if using a D70s your used to. You may not like the lack of that feature. I had a guy come over the other day to buy a lens off me. He had a D5.1k and I the D7k. Holding his camera to show him stuff was quite difficult for me. 1 Feels like a toy. 2 twisty LCD feels cheap lack of buttons on left side of camera. 3 Mode dial on wrong side no top LCD. 4 to change functions like AF mode, Meter Mode, ISO had to press a button i think INFO or {I} can't remember then scroll down VIA LCD select function to change then change that function. <br /> Just not stuff i want/used to be doing. I started with D80 then bought D7k. Both high end consumer. <br /> <br />There are a ton of other advantages to the D7k over the D5.1k But if you are looking at em you can figure that out. User save settings. Two card slots. MuP release mode. Flash commander. Built in time lapse... List goes on.</p>

<p>I will close with two things. Try each out at a Store before you buy. I think that will answer your question. And keep in mind that if budget will allow and you can forgo DX lenses. The D700 can now be had for below $1500 used. I see good low mileage vers going for that on local classified and other forums. That gives Pro body, FX, better ISo. You can thank the D800/e for bring these babys down to the poor mans level so fast. <br>

And all though D300/s are great cameras i wouldn't take a step back in tech, i would get latest that way your set for the next few year. Not wanting another upgrade sooner then later as the D300/s are rather old tech wise. But still great cameras. Although a seriously huge upgrade from D70s. Just my thought on that. Its what i would do.</p>

<p>My 2-cents</p>

<p>If your budget allows for it, the D7000 is a more comparable match to your current camera. Both share the same sensor essentially, so your IQ should not vary between the two. The D7000 can autofocus with your older lenses, while the D5100 cannot. This may not be a problem for the ultra-wide angle 12-24, but your 28-105 may begin to be frustrating to use. Also, given where you plan to go, the D7000 has some weather sealing which can help protect your gear, while the D5100 doesn't.</p>

<p>I think you meant to say that the D7000 is twice the cost of a D5100. Whether or not it is twice as good is up to the photographer. It is more feature-rich, but if I was just using something to take pictures with your AFS lenses, then it's fine. I think you should really look at the differences and see what the D7000 gives you over a D5100. The D300s is a great camera and is better for shooting action and sports. I have one, but for what you currently have and your use (you don't shoot sports too much), then the D7000 would do...it's no slouch at around 6fps. If you shoot sports quite a bit, you may want to think a little harder about it. If I were in your shoes, I would go with the D7000.</p>

<p>Congrats on these trips! I would like to see Cape Horn one day, but I get really seasick and I don't think I would enjoy it much.</p>

<p>It's a great time to be contemplating camera upgrades. The D70s holds a fond place in my heart; it was a solid performer. You will be pleased with any of the successors out there... the D7000 does have the capability and features as mentioned by Derek to justify the additional cost, and the high IQ jump will be huge as well. The D7000 is a bit more difficult to master, but then all the newer high megapixel cameras are. Mastering the D800 feels like grinding through a PhD program compared to all predecessors! </p>

<p>I have a D5100, have owned a D80, and also own a D300. Some thoughts. If I had your budget and could only have one camera, it would be the D7000. It has two command dials, making it easier to use. If I traveled a lot to nice places, I would want two D5100 cameras. There is a great value in having a capable back up that many seem to overlook. If you go that route, I'd sell the D70. I'm betting you'll never use the D70 again anyway after buying either D7000 or D5100. As the owner of a D5100, I do think it would do everything you want. A new (refurb) D5100 for general use and a used D300 (not D300s) might be a good combo too as it covers both your interests. The D300 would give you fast AF that the other two cameras lack.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Aaron - the low light performance between the D7000 and D5100 is identical, since the sensor is identical (but they're both a massive improvement over the D70s).<br />

<br />

If the concern (and the reason for upgrading the D70s) is sports and wildlife, I suspect frame rate and a high-end autofocus system are of interest to you. While the handling, compatibility and build all matter, it sounds as though speed and autofocus are the big advantage of the D7000 to you - and they're significant compared with the D5100. The D300s is better still in frame rate and autofocus (and build quality), but since it comes with an elderly sensor I doubt it's worth it to you (unless you feel like waiting a couple of months to see whether a D400 is announced and everyone dumps their D300 bodies on the used market). The D5100 would be an upgrade for the stuff you currently shoot more (but are happy with the D70s for), but it won't help you much with the stuff the D70s is bad at.<br />

<br />

And the D700 is a lovely camera (I'm very fond of mine), but bear in mind you'd be sacrificing reach with the 12MP FX sensor - even if you find one at a comparable price, that's going to compromise your sports and wildlife shooting.</p>