Questions regarding the OM-D EM-5

don_bryant2

<p>I have read countless posts and web articles about the OM-5 but I don't seem to be able to find the answers to these questions:</p>

<p>Can the shutter be triggered remotely; with no attached shutter release either mechanical or electronic connections? Will remotes such as the RM-1 work with the OM-D.</p>

<p>Currently being a Canon DSLR user I am quite spoiled by the eTTL functionality of my 430 EX II and 580 EX II flashes. Does Olympus have comparable flash integration? And are their flashes as powerful as Canons? The GNs of the Olympus flashes I have researched seem anemic compared to the Canon models.</p>

<p> </p>

I believe the Olympus RM-UC1 (the wired cable release that plugs into the USB port) works, but I don't believe there's

an infrared receiver built into the camera. There are, however, third party alternatives where the receiver plugs into the

USB port and sits in the hot shoe, such as this one:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/ir-shutter-release-for-e-620-e-pl2-e-p2-e-p1-sp-590uz.html

I should mention that the situation is similar for the Nikon D700, which also has no built-in IR receiver, but the option

for a large receiver that sits in the hotshoe, except that a small Korean company, Seculine, has released an extremely

small IR receiver that can be left in the 10-pin terminal. They have versions for many camera systems, but I do not

see one for Olympus.

<p>You probably don't want an IR receiver, since it is line of sight. In addition, the serial encoding of the IR pulses to identify the remote, means that it is something like second or so between the time the RM-1 is pushed, and the camera using it would respond.</p>

<p>There are various radio based shutter releases that use the RM-UC1 wired shutter release capability that can be used. On ebay, you can find them starting at $19 or so. Note, on ebay, ignore the cheapest one that is two cables, a RM-UC1 wired clone and a RM-1 IR clone, since your E-M5 doesn't have an IR receiver for the RM-1.</p>

<p>Now, technically none of the radio based shutter releases don't meet your request, since you do have to plug the receiver into the camera, but there isn't a physical connection between the transmitter and receiver. Note, many of them have a plastic piece that can sit in the hot-shoe for mounting, but you don't need to use the hot-shoe if you are using a flash.</p>

<p>In terms of flash integration, Olympus does have wireless TTL flashes. You use the clip-on flash that comes in the box as the controller, and use the following flashes for the remote flashes:</p>

<ul>

<li>Olympus FL-50R, FL-600R, FL-36R, FL-300R</li>

<li>Metz 50 AF-1, 58 AF-2</li>

<li>Metz 48 AF-1, 58 AF-1 (these flashes need a firmware update)</li>

<li>Cactus AF50</li>

<li>Metz MS-15 (ring flash, remote only, does not have hot-shoe support)</li>

</ul>

<p>Olympus gives you 3 groups that can be controlled from the camera with different settings. If you wanted to do FP-TTL mode (high speed flash above 1/250 second), the FL-300R and Metz MS-15 will not do FP-TTL, but the others will. Whether it is equivalent to Canon, I don't know.</p>

<p>If you wanted to fire the camera under certain conditions and not just at fixed intervals, there are various things that will fire the camera based on a trigger. You will need to mount the unit on or with the camera, but if you wanted to do things like an automated picture taking when something crosses an light beam or makes a sound, these can be useful. The ones I'm aware of include:</p>

<ul>

<li>http://triggertrap.com/ -- Right now only iphone/ipad, but they should ship their Aduino units eventually.</li>

<li>http://www.cameraaxe.com/ -- Arduino based units</li>

<li>http://www.bmumford.com/photo/camctlr.html -- self contained unit</li>

</ul>

<p>There are wireless units that combine video out and shutter release. Note, these only do shutter release, you cannot control anything else, unlike some software available for Canon:</p>

<ul>

<li>http://www.aputure.com/blog/2011/12/20/gigtube-wireless-2-live-view-lcd-remote-viewfinder-released/ -- Aputure</li>

<li>http://www.phottix.com/en/wireless-remotes/phottixr-hero-liveview-wireless-remote.html -- Phottix Hero</li>

</ul>

<p>The 2x crop factor of µ4/3, and it's effect on DOF for a given f stop mitigates lower GN's of the flashes. Since there's about a 1stop greater DOF compared to APS-C and 2 stops compared to FF, a larger f stop can be used while maintaining the same DOF. Remember that a 1 stop difference is a 2x difference in light power.</p>

<p>I'm using a Metz 50AF-1. Which supports just about all 4/3 features (no wireless master) and fewer µ4/3 features (no AF assist light). In regular TTL mode it only supports a 1/160 sec x-sync speed, but in High Speed Sync (HSS), for both Manual & TTL, it goes up to 1/250 sec. and beyond. Since the E-M5 has a built in AF assist light, it's less of an issue that the flash's AF light doesn't come on. The firmware in the Metz can be updated, but there's been no µ4/3 specific updates yet.</p>

<p>I forgot about the AF assist light. If you want the AF assist light on the flash, I believe the FL-600R is the only flash that does this for the E-M5. Note, this is from reading other forum posts, as I've only tried out a E-M5 at an Olympus sales event, and have not tried the FL-600R. I don't believe any other external flashes provide AF assist for micro 4/3rds cameras, and the FL-600R only does it the E-M5. As Bruce says, the E-M5 does have a focus assist light.</p>

<p>The other flashes have a red AF assist light, that is only enabled for the earlier 4/3rds cameras, and not micro 4/3rds cameras. I've read somewhere that the red light is not suitable for the contrast detect auto focus used in micro 4/3rds cameras (or 4/3rds cameras with live view). The FL-600R has a white light that can double as a video light that is always on. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've read somewhere that the red light is not suitable for the contrast detect auto focus used in micro 4/3rds cameras ....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not sure about that, Michael. My GH2 <em>body</em> activates a red focus light in dim conditions. Just reporting same. gs</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your replies. </p>

<p>For the shutter release I don't mind having a receiver plug into the camera; I have and use something similar now with my Canons. </p>

<p>I could care less about zone control with multiple flashes. When I use multiple flashes I use monolights anyway, however for single flash (on or off camera) I do like eTTL control.</p>

<p>Bruce I understand about DOF equivalences but having a high GN means that light output can be attenuated easily if need be but having higher GNs allows easier bounce flash in certain environments.</p>