Pentax K-30

Mike Howard

<p>We've went over the DX0 mark scores before.</p>

<p>The consensus, they were not relevant to real world use.</p>

<p>The reason I point this out, is because it was pointed out to me when I noted how good the maligned K10D was. Bearing in mind it was maligned for it's lack of 1600+ ISO and noisy 1600 images. FWIW, I have to say that at low ISO, this photographer was larger unimpressed with Pentax "upgrades" till the K-5. I still look at my K10D RAW 6 years later and think they exceptional, the K-5 is the first camera I have used that repeated that.</p>

<p>Remember, almost 2 years after the K10D was released, it was still on the DXO top 10 cameras, this included multiple full frame cameras and multiple cameras over $3000.</p>

<p>Also, wasn't the K-5 like #3 on the list when it was released? In front of many full frame cameras.<br /><br />I'll use DXO marks as the end all debate killer, as long as we can always use them as the end all debate killer. But until then, I'm not going to argue DX0 marks that can't be repeated in real world shooting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The consensus, they were not relevant to real world use.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Justin, take some time and read <a href="http://laurphoto.blogspot.com/2012/04/quick-guide-for-understanding-dxomark.html">this post</a> that I wrote after arguing this point too many times. dxomark knows what they are doing, but perhaps their mistake is in trying to summarize their results in a score that people take to mean "better" when it does not mean that. Once you understand what they measure and what scores to look at, you'll see the relevance to real world use.</p>

<p>I agree on the MLC points. I'd really love a collapsed mount (for mounting any lens) mirrorless with a full ergonomic grip and fast predictive autofocus (phase detect on sensor or a very intelligent contrast detect), with a big bright EVF (not rear LCD) with focus peaking. And a flip-out LCD with WR.<br /> <br />Nevertheless, I don't think that will be be on the horizon anytime soon (particularly due to the predictive autofocus part, see the Olympus OM-D E-M5). And after the Q/K-01, I'm happy to see Pentax release the relatively cheap WR Dual Dial TAv focus peaking DSLR.</p>

<p>I was content just reading everyone's opinions but then Laurentiu won the prize:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... a regular customer buying a basic Olympus kit will be better served by it than by the purchase of the basic Pentax kit.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think we've forgotten what "regular customer" means. Regular customers aren't buying cameras; They're buying iPhones. They see no reason to get a "huge" camera because they don't see the difference in image quality. While I'll be the first person to tell you that owning a camera does not make you a "photographer" any more than owning a wrench makes you a "mechanic" this insurgence of "Instagram-Loving Hipsters" disagrees. How many iPhone4 units have been sold? 30Million+? If anything: Stand-Alone cameras are niche market.</p>

<p>SLRs aren't going away any more than the MILCs are taking over. A quick look at the way that film has refused to die even when it's been told that it's dead should be a good sign that there is always a demand for the niche market. Each camera has it's place, but at this point All Stand-Alone Cameras are in a niche market as well. </p>

<p>Sorry for the nickle's worth.</p>

<p>You're absolutely right that film has thus far refused to die (particularly B&W film), but let's look at it another way: is Pentax still making film cameras? Is Olympus? Is Sony? Is Canon? No, no, no, and no. Nikon still makes the F6, but that's a niche within a niche within a niche, and I don't expect them to make it for much longer.</p>

<p>I think there will come a time, in the not-so-distant future, that DSLRs will be in a similar niche to the F6. That time isn't here yet, but it's probably not that far off.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think we've forgotten what "regular customer" means.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> No. You just misunderstood my comment. I wasn't talking about generic "regular customers" but about *regular customers that consider investing into an ILC system*.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>A quick look at the way that film has refused to die even when it's been told that it's dead should be a good sign that there is always a demand for the niche market.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> DSLR's becoming a niche market is what people mean when they say DSLRs will die - they won't necessarily disappear without trace, but they will decline in relevance and they will no longer represent the state of the art of photographic cameras.</p>