Fixing a Minolta Autocord

joseph_wei

Hi,

I just borrowed a Minolta Autocord from my school's photo department.

The optics are clean and clear, the camera looks relatively good (for

a "school" camera). Only problems are: One: the focus range is smooth

(no grinding or scratching), but extremely stiff. I'm afraid if I

force the sliding knob too hard, it may break off (as several other

articles on this site have mentioned).

Two: the shutter doesn't fire. I have no idea how to operate the wind

crank to cock the shutter, so that may be the problem. Is there

anyway I could open up the camera from to clean/lubricate the

helicals, or does this camera just need a full CLA?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JW

See if you can get the school to pay if it' their camera. Wind crank forward to advance film, wind and take picture. There's a litte button on the camera side by the crank, slide it towards back of camera and wind crank one whole turn backward. Cocks the shutter without advancing the film! Easy double exposures!

Hi,

Well, thanks to all who helped, I got the shutter working (the crank was jammed from unuse, and some wiggling did the job), and it sounds very accurate at all speeds. One more question concerning the focus. I carefully removed the metal focusing scale underneath the lensboard and got to the focusing helicals. If I dropped several drops of lubricant or Coleman lamp oil into that chamber, on top of the helicals, would that work to lessen the focus tension? I'm afraid to try because I fear the oil may seep into the taking lens and shutter, which are, at the moment, in pristine working condition. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

JW

Joseph,

I just had returned to me my most prized, valued Autocord from Minolta master Paul Ebel in Wisconsin. Please don't take this the wrong way, as I really do admire the "fix it yourself" attitude you have shown. I too, wish to learn all I can and be capable, but I would really like to encourage you to do so on something *other* than a Minolta Autocord; especially one with nice glass. It truly is a prized shooter if working correctly, and if you send it in now you could possibly forgo spending more later to fix or repair damage caused by inexperience.

My Autocord suffered from extreme wear of the film wind, focusing helix, and needed a shutter overhaul. Paul fixed these (by replacing the wind gearing with a like new or new parts) and, well...simply did his magic on the focusing. He even installed my new Camera Leather recovering kit, which makes me smile every time I look at it.

Consider seriously, sending the camera in for expert service and get the school to pop for the repair. Either that, or shoot them a low-ball offer to purchase a old/damaged camera and pay for the service yourself. It is more affordable than you might think. Heck, if you want a camera to practice on I'll send you one free of charge-