Lens Rental for shooting wedding as unofficial assistant

tiger_o

Hi All,<br /><br />I'll 'unofficially' assist in shooting a wedding for a friend. They will have a paid-hired pro shooter at the wedding (from 1pm to end of reception, likely 11pm). However, the pro will not be there from 8:30am to 1:00<br />pm, so I will shoot, probably solo during this time (make ups, dress, getting ready period). I've done this once before a couple years back with a Rebel & CF lens. Currently I shoot w/a 5D Mark II and have 2 lenses: 24-105L & 50 f/1.8 II (just upgrade to the Mark II w/24-105 as kits lens 3 months ago).<br /><br />My question is, SHOULD I RENT A LENS? If so, WHICH LENS should I rent?<br /><br />Your input is much appreciated. Thanks!

<p>Hi Peter,<br>

Yes, I have the Speedlite 430EX. While I will likely be the only one shooting in the A.M., I will also assit throughout the day as well (sorry if I didn't make that clear), that's why I inquired about lens rentals. The pro is only paid for 10 hrs, so the B&G decided to start him from 1-11pm.</p>

<p>I don't think you need to rent anything if you are just 'assisting'. It would also be silly. Make what you have work for you.</p>

<p>About the only situation where a particular lens may be ideal would be during a no-flash, dark interior ceremony. But since the pro is covering the ceremony, I would just do what I could with what I have. If you really want to photograph during such a situation, bring a tripod and shoot from your seat. With the 5D Mark II, you can probably go ISO 3200-6400, and with care, come away with some good shots.</p>

<p>Does the pro know that you are "assisting"? It's one thing to shoot pictures before he/she gets there. It's a totally different thing to announce yourself as the assistant when they're not expecting one. Or to be going around functioning as a second photographer when they haven't been made aware of that. Even just shooting the morning could cause problems for the pro if he comes in to start shooting the pictures he's been hired to do but the wedding party tells him they've already been run through half a day of photos and are tired of seeing a camera. Honestly your friend should be working more closely with the pro and scheduling his time more efficiently. Ten hours is more than enough time to begin with pre-church preparations, shoot the ceremony and cover the reception. Once you get past the cake cutting and garter toss there's no reason to keep the photographer at the wedding all night.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's one thing to shoot pictures before he/she gets there. </p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

That's what he said he's doing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> Once you get past the cake cutting and garter toss there's no reason to keep the photographer at the wedding all night.</p>

</blockquote>

You must go to boring weddings. Where's some photos you've shot of the boring parts, it would be interesting to see how there's nothing interesting after that point.

<p>If you're just shooting before the pro arrives, you should be completely fine in terms of etiquette, as long as you step down and stay out of their way once they arrive. If I was going to rent a lens with the 5D2, it would be the 35L, I absolutely love that lens for getting ready shots. But I think you will be good with what you have, you should be able to do very good getting ready coverage with your 50mm and 430EX.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>have you talked to the hired shooter? If not, you had better do that right away. Most photographers will have an exclusivity clause in their contracts and.. ...you don't need to be dealing with issues in the middle of the wedding.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why would the poster be "dealing with issues in the middle of the wedding" when they are planning to shoot photos before hand when the pro "will not be there"? </p>

<p>John H, If you read my first response, I didn't say anything about any conflict because the OP did not indicate anything more than the pre-wedding shots being done before the pro arrives to begin work. When you read the OP's second reply he stated:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I will also assit [sic] throughout the day as well (sorry if I didn't make that clear), that's why I inquired about lens rentals.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So that changes things. He's planning to assist in some form. By the title, it would be 'unofficially' but on the last point it is unclear if he's talked to the hire shooter.</p>

<p>The last wedding I shot had the groom and a couple of his groomsmen dancing while lying on the floor with their shirts off about ten minutes before the band left. That was the highlight for them, although I don't think the bride's parents saw those photos. I'm shooting one in ten days where I'm told that photos of passed out guests would be welcomed.</p>

<p>I've never been much interested in the ceremony unless they start laughing. The party is always where the fun begins. But maybe I just go to interesting weddings.</p>

<p>Dear All,<br>

Thanks for all your helpful and very insightful input. At the end of the day, I decided not to rent a lens. The wedding was this past Saturday and I ended up assisting shooting the whole day. I shot solo from 7:30 to 11:00 until the paid pro arrived. When he did, I introduced myself and told him I was a friend that will assist in shooting; he was very kind and professional about it. I made sure and did the best I can to stay out of his way. I basically shot at angels and spots he was not shooting from. The church as a bit dim for my 24-105 (my 430 flash wasn't too helpful for the a dim church with pointed high ceilings). Looking back, I was happy with the overall experience given this was my first full shoot, albeit on the unofficial assisting level. However, if I could I would probably wish I had at least 2 more lenses at my disposal: 35L & 85L or 70-200 2.8. I did learn so much though, especially looking at my shots and realizing what I should've done and not done on some of them. Thanks again for all your help!</p>