What's the next camera down from Canon 5D Mark ii?

georgia_de_lotz

<p>I am just heading out into the proffessional photographer world. I want to do interior, still life, food and garden photography.<br>

<br />Ideally I want to get a Canon 5D Mark iii but it is completely out of my current price range, along with the Canon 5D Mark ii.<br>

Whilst I am still assisting, not using a camera for paid work, I want a lower priced camera but along the same lines. I will then upgrade when I have some more money behind me.<br>

<br />What can you suggest is the next camera down from these? The original Canon 5D?</p>

<p>Any advice would be fantastic, thanks!</p>

<p>If you want a full frame camera then yes, the original 5D or the old 1Ds. The 1Ds Mark II is also quite cheap second hand these days. You can then get some nice cheap lenses such as a 50mm macro (Canon or Sigma), or one of the Canon 100mm lenses without IS, and they will still work just the same if you later get a more expensive full frame body. A wide lens for interiors might cost a bit more.</p>

<p>Personally, I find that a full frame sensor and viewfinder is just more fun, but it is hard to justify that in objective terms or in terms of how much money you can make. So you might well decide to get a crop sensor body, which can be had very cheaply second hand, and for low-end models are inexpensive bought new. The primary advantage of newer bodies is better performance in low light and perhaps better autofocus, but for your planned subjects that doesn't make much difference. Crop-sensor bodies have some advantages in lens choice too, if you want to get a zoom lens in the 17-50 range or so. Again a true wide angle can be expensive, perhaps even more so than with full frame.</p>

<p>If you prefer full-frame, the market for used full-frame bodies is not particularly liquid so the choice between 5D, 1Ds, etc will be determined more by what turns up.</p>

The 5D is a great machine and the sensor works well for Landscape photography. I have an original 5D. I'm told it's not

the fastest AF but that wasn't a big problem for me. I'd recommend it highly.

I'm not a professional, but I recently bought a Sony Nex-7 and I'm liking it a lot, especially the focus magnifier and focus

peaking with manual lenses allowing you to focus precisely. And the AF with the Sony A mount lenses and their mirror

adapter is great too. The best aspect is its ability to use just about any lens every made.

<p>If you want the larger format (35mm size), then the 5D is still a very usable camera.<br>

For a more sophisticated camera, also look at the APS-C (smaller) sensor EOS 7D. It is a very nice camera with many features. It's the high end of the APS-C line with better body, improved focus, and so on.<br>

There is nothing inherently "superior" about one format over the other, but each have their particular advantages. I'd say for your suggested subjects, it's pretty much a wash - either camera would do a good job, but the 7D is a considerably newer model with improved performance in some areas.</p>

<p>If you are starting to go professonel you really need a quality camera,what is your budget? If it is very low it might be advisable to wait and save up a bit more.What do currently use gear? 1Ds MKII is good choice,but a good used one will only be slightly less than a new 5D2,good luck with your search.</p>