I need a help with how to transfer a photo session

val pereira

<p>I have a "Trash the Dress" schedule for tomorrow and I got an email from a Bride requesting for my<br>

services for a wedding tomorrow, will be just the bride and groom.<br>

How should I cancel the photo session without upsetting or making the other couple down with me.<br>

Actually this photo session was schedule for last week and they cancel on me.<br>

But I really need a good excuse for them.<br>

What should I do?<br>

Val </p>

<p>Surely you've already talked to other photographers so that you have some sort of emergency plan when you are scheduled to shoot and become ill, or have equipment loss/damage, etc. Why not simply call one of those people and have them shoot the unscheduled, surprise event? You didn't commit to the new event's schedule, but you <em>did</em> commit to the dress session.<br /><br />Ask yourself how you would want to be treated by someone else. If you think the subject for the dress session is an understanding person and won't mind rescheduling, stop looking for excuses, and just be honest. You already shot her wedding ... she knows how important that is. Tell her that a customer of yours has an emergency re-schedule of their actual wedding, and you're now in a difficult position. Consider offering your dress-shoot customer a discount in exchange for the inconvenience re-scheduling. What do you have to lose? You either give up the wedding shoot's money, or give up <em>some</em> of the dress shoot money, get the wedding shoot money, and possibly keep both customers happy.</p>

<p>Unless the "Trash" session woman is really understanding, there might not be a way out. I understand the pull of money, but even though I've tried juggling the same stuff, your obligation is to your first client.<br>

The only legitimate way to pull out is if you think the lighting will be better early in the day (before the wedding starts and IF the original client is willing to get up early), or late in the day (perhaps when the wedding is already done).</p>

<p>So which one did you have booked first? the Trash or Wedding? If the wedding was booked for last week and they canceled then rescheduled at this late time - I'd be honest with them - let them know that you already scheduled another event for tomorrow at the same time, and that you will try to reschedule the Trash the Dress shoot, but can't guarantee it. </p>

<p>Call the trash the dress client and explain the situation to her. If she agrees to a reschedule - then you're good. If she doesn't then you have no choice, but to try and find someone else who can cover the wedding. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I agree with the Matt. You can not cancel the person who booked first because you want the second session. It doesn't matter if the second clients were paying 10 x what the first clients were. You need to treat the first clients with the respect they deserve for booking with you.Be honest with the second couple and transfer the work to another photographer who is available.</p>

<p>The others have suggested that you approach the Trash the Dress clients and see if they will reschedule. You might want to ask them but let them choose and if they don't want to change the time or the day, then refuse the second clients. Your first and only obligation is to the first clients (Trash the Dress)</p>

<p>Assuming you cannot work both into your schedule, I would talk to the trash the dress bride and try to reschedule. Trash the dress has no time constrain in general and they had already cancelled once. Chances are you'll be able to reschedule the trash the dress. </p>

<p>Thank you all for the advise, the results of this forum is:<br>

I couldn't find a nice excise to cancel the "trash the dress" couple, so I stick with them and I didn't take the wedding.<br>

But just one hour ago the couple called canceling the session for the 2nd time because there is 40% of chance to rain in Boston and the Groom said his not feeling well neither. <br>

And I rent a wide lens for this particular session because of the location was suppose to be at The North End of Boston and there are lots of high old Italian style building. <br>

Well I'm very disappointed with the results, but thank you all for the kindness respond.<br>

Val </p>

<p>Val I must say, I'm disappointed that they have treated you this way. I still think our advice would have been the same and I hope you have some type of contract and retainer for this couple. IMO they have lost their retainer (deposit) and should pay in full again if they want this session.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>canceling the session for the 2nd time because there is 40% of chance to rain</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's why I don't value engagement and trash the dress commiment as high as a wedding commiment. I have people cancel engagement because the wind blew the wrong way. And one couple cancelled the session next week because it rained this week (so they deduced it must rain next week as well).</p>

<p>I have people cancelled the whole engagement or trash the dress just becasue they didn't feel like doing it anymore. I don't schedule my life around these sessions anymore, I give them certain dates and times to choose from. Basically, the clients have to work around my time. Wedding is different, of course.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Val, it's a bit late now, but for future reference...</p>

<p>I always discuss the possibility of rescheduling a TTD shoot with a client when I book it. I let them know that it can be rescheduled if something comes up for them and also discuss the possibility of rescheduling if I am asked to shoot a wedding on that date.</p>

<p>I've never had a problem. I have had clients reschedule and I've done it once myself. It's always a friendly conversation and not a big deal.</p>

<p>Scott.</p>