Squeaky Focus Ring Nikon 14-24mm Lens

steve_barrett

<p>I have a nearly new Nikon 14-24mm lens. The focus ring squeaks when it's manually turned past the maximum or minimum distance stops. It doesn't squeak when auto focused or manually focused within the normal focus range...only when turned past the stops. Anyone have a similar experience?<br>

Also, the lens barrel appears to be made of plastic like my 85mm and 35mm 1.4 AF-S lenses. The reviews of this lens usually say it's made of metal. Has Nikon 'cheapened' the construction quality of this lens recently? Or was the barrel plastic all along?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Most likely there's a bit of dirt rubbing inside somewhere or the lubrication is wearing off. Solution - don't turn your focus ring past the end stops!</p>

<p>My 14-24 was bought over two years ago and has no squeaks. It's also near-impossible to tell by look or feel what material the lens barrel is made from, since it's coated with a hard-wearing paint finish. And to be honest I couldn't care less if it's all-metal, or plastic on metal or all-plastic, it's the glass inside that counts.</p>

<p>Joe...my concern is that the squeak foreshadows something worse happening in the future : )<br>

The plastic or metal is simply curiosity...mainly because reviews when it first came out said it was metal. It IS a great lens, no matter metal or plastic!</p>

<p>I just bought it from an individual. He has offered to give me a full refund, a partial refund that would reduce the selling price to about $1400.00 or return it to him and he will send to Nikon for repair under warranty, then return it to me.<br>

I know the third option is the 'correct' one, but ignoring the problem and getting a one month old 14-24mm lens for a good price is very tempting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It definitely shouldn't squeak at only one month old Steve. I know there were a few rogue 24-70 Nikkors that had incorrect lubrication from the factory, but I've never heard the same about the 14-24mm.</p>

<p>Call me suspicious, but why is the seller getting rid of it after a month's use?</p>

<p>He said he wanted to buy a D800 instead of keeping the 14-24mm. As someone who sold my D800 2 weeks after buying it, what he told me is plausible.<br>

There are many reports online of 14-24mm lenses with frozen or stiff zoom rings. One photo equipment rental house made a big issue about this. Its owner thought it happened as a result of rough handling during shipping. Maybe the focus ring on mine was damaged in transit to me.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Steve, mine has a normal "small gearings" sound. But once beyond the "normal focus range", the sound turns very slightly different, because (I guess) it adds a different geared action. Anyway, the difference is minimal. As far I notice it on my lens, it is perfectly normal.</p>

<p>Is this sound in your lens that noticable?</p>

<p>I wonder about the frozen or stiff zoom rings. This design seem to me a bit... delicate?, as the zoom activates a front heavier barrel (14-24 and 24-70); on new lenses the zoom is quite smooth, but I wonder if after a knock on this element, the mechanism could get easily misaligned or damaged. The best way to avoid this is to use the hood everytime.</p>

<p>Does this reports come from users that have the hood permanently attached? Or they use to leave the lens in the bag, faced down, without hood, even with the camera attached? How careful are them, when they leave that bag on the floor? And in the trunk?</p>

<p>On the 14-24 the hood is fixed, but given the huge and protruding element, it could be easy to push it in any way. If it was correctly packed, I doubt it could happen.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"... the sound turns very slightly different, because (I guess) it adds a different geared action... "</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>It`s more likely a friction. Far from a sand particle or so... just friction. I`d say it`s normal, but on mine the difference is minimal. My lens is years old now.</p>

<p>BTW, I think it`s made both in plastic and metal; the part in the middle is plastic, near the mount metal, the hood plastic, and near the hood, I don`t know. Finishing quality is outstanding, despite if metal or plastic.</p>

<p>It squeaks loudly and becomes hard to turn at some positions beyond the focus stops. Definitely not normal.<br>

I decided to return it for a refund and buy a new one. Getting a 5 year warranty is probably worth a few hundred additional dollars.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, the lens barrel appears to be made of plastic like my 85mm and 35mm 1.4 AF-S lenses. The reviews of this lens usually say it's made of metal. Has Nikon 'cheapened' the construction quality of this lens recently? Or was the barrel plastic all along?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The Nikon 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S always has a barrel that is a mixed of metal and plastic, with rubber parts over some of them. I bought one within the first year of its introduction and as far as I can tell, the construction has never been different.</p>

<p>That squeaky focus ring is definitely not normal. There is no reason why you should be buying someone's else problem. Let the original owner deal with warranty repair.</p>