1st and 2nd Generation Autofocus Cameras

JDMvW

I never used the AF on the 1st and 2nd generation AF cameras back in the days (I owned F4 and N2020) even though a lot of my lenses were AF. I started using AF in 2004 - on a D70 and an F5 (quite some time after my wife demonstrated that AF on her F100 worked a lot better and faster than my manual focusing with the F4).

• 1 year later...
On 12/19/2020 at 6:58 PM, Dieter Schaefer said:

I never used the AF on the 1st and 2nd generation AF cameras back in the days (I owned F4  focusing with the F4).

I used AF quite often with my F4 and unless the ambient light was really dim, it always hit spot on. It was lightening fast on my F5. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, Kent T said:

Nikon got their AF SLR act really together with the N6008 and N8008 cameras.

Nikon really got their AF act together? 

Is that why today nearly every body-lens combo needs a different AF fine tune? A 'fine' tune that practically end stops the adjustment range in many cases. 

On 12/15/2022 at 7:42 AM, rodeo_joe1 said:

Nikon really got their AF act together? 

Is that why today nearly every body-lens combo needs a different AF fine tune? A 'fine' tune that practically end stops the adjustment range in many cases. 

The earliest generation Nikon AF cameras had very slow, very lacking in response AF compared to say, the Minolta Maxxum AF SLR by comparison. The Nikon AF 2020 is best used as a manual focus SLR, to name an example. 

4 hours ago, hjoseph7 said:

Why are HTML tags appearing on all your post, or is it my computer ?

Likely because the early posts are from 2012 and transfers to new systems probably mis-translated.

(I see the tags, but only in the early posts..)

Edited by dave_thomas8

• 1 month later...