Beware boat vibrations if you are shooting on one

fuccisphotos

<p>So this weekend I did a wedding on a boat and I encountered an interesting problem. My light stand was set up in an area where people weren't able to knock into it. To my total surprise about 3/4 into the wedding the stand tipped over during a swell. I saw it as it was happening and caught it before it hit the floor. But what surprised me was that it wasn't specifically due to the swell, but rather that the knob that tightens the base into place had come clear off and so the base moved out of the stable position. This blew my mind because I had just purchased this light stand that was better quality and 3 times as expensive as my last one. I took down the light stand for safety and just used on camera flash for the rest of the wedding. Usually I bring multiple light stands as back up but since this was on a boat I was traveling lighter than my norm. After all the guests left, the DJ found the knob several feet away from the light stand. The only thing I can figure is that the vibration of the engine through the floorboard caused the knob to loosen and twist off. So beware of situations like this. Sandbags didn't help because I think the weight helped contribute to it loosening. So if you are doing a shoot on an engine powered boat, be sure to check your stand and connections throughout the night.</p>

Wow, interesting problem there. At least it didn't fall over. A bit of tape, an elastic band or a small bungee cord wrapped around the

locking knob and stand should do the trick, but I wouldn't have thought it necessary until you mentioned this problem.

<p>Yes, overtightening can be a problem with some equipment. Boats (and aircraft and motor vehicles) have lots of vibration and that am loosen things up. For future reference, lock washers might be considered... as could Loc-Tite (only the blue as mentioned above, not red which is nearly permanent). Another consideration would be periodic re-checking of knobs etc.</p>

<p>Vail, have you tried using <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-035-Super-Clamp-without/dp/B001CWT416/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=31MS9PZOECQKV&coliid=I269Z4LRCCXLPD">Superclamps</a>? If you're just mounting speedlights, you can clamp these things to poles and other objects and they really hold. So much easier than stands, if you can find something for them to grip, and lower liability risk.</p>

Could have been bad, hitting someone. Glad everything went OK.

I have no problems asking someone to hold a flash for me, a guest. Not for the whole night of course, just the formals. I usually ask someone in the wedding party or a teen that looks bored! Hope this helps

<p>A piece of gaffers tape, run over the top of the knob and then around the shaft that the threaded part of the knob assembly goes into, will prevent the knob from loosening up.</p>

<p>Everyone who recommended using Loctite, now has the homework assignment of actually trying it out and reporting back how well that worked out. If there is a plastic knob, over molded on the splined end of the threaded part, the knob may very well snap off before enough torque is applied to break even blue Loctite free.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've used it (Loctite) for years on all kinds of equipment (including light stands). While if you buy the '<em>$10 - straight from china</em>' special, you are certain to break it (though it doesn't require loctite IME ;-) ). If you buy decent equipment though, Loctite won't break the knob I can guarantee it.</p>

<p>I also said to use a very small amount. If you coat the thread, yes, even Blue will be difficult to remove, but for this application, just the smallest dab will do. Let it dry for a couple minutes before threading it for the first time, and then you will instantly feel the difference. Your gear will feel more secure (because it is). One application also lasts for many uses. But that's just my personal experience. And, used properly, it doesn't even make a mess! (Unlike gaffers tape, bungee cords, extra clamps, elastic bands, rubber bands, etc.) But then I believe in making things <em>simpler</em> at a wedding, not giving myself <em>more</em> things to carry around, <em>more</em> things to remember to do, <em>more</em> things to clean up, <em>more</em> things to loose/forget (you get the idea ;-) )...</p>

<p>IDK, number of times I've had a stand go down because of an inappropriately tightened knob or one that's worked it's way loose? Once. Since I started using loctite? None - But that's just me.</p>