Nice Nature Photo Exhibit in Albany, NY (from Alaska)

james_golden1

Hello All!

There is a very nice nature photo exhibit/sale at the Crossgates Mall

in Albany, NY. The Photographer is Bob Keiff (I need to check on the

last name) and he is from Alaska. I learned a great deal from

speaking with him for a few moments:

1. Slide film, 70/80-200mm, and tripod (goes without saying)

- He has prints from 4x6 to 16x20 of the same photos and the grain

is almost non-existent. Unbelievable...I am absolutely sold.

- He has five photos on prominent display, one of an eagle, a wolf,

a moose, a grizzley catching a fish, and another I can't

remember. All are tack sharp and full frame, and all with an

80-200 2.8.

2. He said he spends 50% time taking photos and 50% marketing/sales.

- He has contracted with a shipping company, photo developer, and a

frame maker. When he is on the road marketing and needs photos,

he calls the developer who has his slides on file with a code #.

The developer prints the number needed in the sizes needed,

brings them to the framer (if frames are needed), who then brings

them to the shipping company.

3. He wasn't too clear when I asked how he evaluates photos...saying

only that he looks at "saleability", but I noticed that one photo (the

only one out of nearly 100 great ones) was somewhat soft, and yet

people were loving it. His portfolio of great photos was built in an

8 year period in Alaska. Of course, all the photos could be critiqued

in one fashion or another, but on the whole, they are absolutely

"sellable" and I would definitely be proud to have them as part of my

portfolio.

4. Matted prints ranged from $15 to $75, with framed prints hitting

the $250+ mark. Someone bought two framed prints while I was in there

this weekend.

It was great to see nature photos that weren't part of a calendar or

on the net, but actually in a place where I could stare and ask the

photographer the ins and outs of his abilities. He was very

accomodating and helpful.

James, I too have had some opportunities to talk with other photographers at art shows about their work and I always found it enjoyable and usually enlightening. Regarding comment under 3, yes, there is always going to be that part in each of us which will not rest untill we find that image that can be critiqued in both of the "one fashion or another." Maybe that is because we need to demonstrate that we have enough artistic appreciation to recognize excellence, but also have enough ego to recognize that other photographers screw up too.

Year after year,I get stuck in the print vs. slide film debate. I read hundreds of opinions on the best way to make enlargements -Ilfochrome, Reala print film, digital, etc. I get nowhere. Then every Christmas, I see Bob's Alaska photos on sale in the Albany area and rediscover the answer! His breath-taking grainless photos are direct print from slide(The SlidePrinter!)using Fuji Velvia and Provia. One great tool he has that the average person may not . . . very expensive Nikon fast telephotos up to 500mm. He does not use 400 speed film!

Yes James,Robert does have nice photos!As a matter of fact I was in his gallery this past monday(12-6-99)and I believe I overheard some of the conversation between you and him(if you were there that day?)

I first saw his exhibit in Albany,N.Y. about two years ago x-mas time,besides Jim Bradenburg viewing Bob's work inspires me.However I never conversed with him about the technical aspects of his photography,It's pretty obvious he has a fast,long telephoto lens.(I don't,but I would when around grizzlies)

One negative comment(sorry) I would like to see some newer photos,but if he enjoys marketing more than photography I can't knock him,and he appears to be making a buck or two arond the holidays.

Re: Bob's Long Lenses

I was amazed to find that four of his prominently displayed images, which are all full frame, were taken with his Nikon 80-200 2.8. This struck me because I have been of the thought and inclination, since reading postings in this forum, that it was "400mm or bust" as far as nature photography goes. But his four photos showed that it can be done, and done well, although perhaps not as often because with a 200mm you have to wait until the critter is close by.

"Re: Bob's Long Lenses

I was amazed to find that four of his prominently displayed images, which are all full frame, were taken with his Nikon 80-200 2.8. This struck me because I have been of the thought and inclination, since reading postings in this forum, that it was "400mm or bust" as far as nature photography goes."

Yes, James some outstanding wildlife images can and are made with a 80-200mm lens. I mentioned this observation in the "BG Wildlife photographer of the Year" thread. Jim Brandenburg referred to himself back in 1997 as one who used to run around with a big lens lens on a tripod but now does landscapes with the animal in it. (I, personally, am bored with seeing head shot after head shot, regardless of the lens focal length that it was shot with. I know what these land mammals (and most of the birds) look like! Where do they live.)