Mirror fell out of my 5D mk 2

caleb_santos

<p>I was in the middle of a wedding ceremony when the image in the viewfinder started wiggling... well, the mirror came loose somehow and completely fell out. Has this ever happened to anyone?<br /> My main concern is once I sent my camera to canon to be repaired they wanted to replace the entire mirror box to the tune of $500. Was I so naive to think they would fix it for free? Camera is 6 months old, my backup camera, I hardly use it, not more than 5k snaps on it... I never dropped it, always used in moderate temperatures, kept in a bag at room temperature, etc... woe is me.</p>

<p>It was a problem for a few of the earlier Canon EOS 5D cameras (mk1), and Canon does a free fix with some little tabs to hold it in.</p>

<p>I've never heard of it happening with a 5Dmkii (which I just bought myself).</p>

<p>Something doesn't jive, they must feel that you broke it.<br>

Have you ever used that camera with an EF-S lens or a lens from another manufacturer that extends within the camera. If the mirror hits the rear element of such lenses it may cause sufficient damage to show the Canon tech.</p>

<p>I just got the mirror reinforced on my 5d mki (I am not the original owner) about a month ago. I was not having problems but wanted to get it upgraded. They repaired it very quickly at no charge and paid the shipping both ways. I was not aware the mkii needed this upgrade.</p>

<p>It shouldn't. There have been a few reports of damage to the mirror when the user mounts lenses w/ rear protruding elements that extended into it's path (some old, or modded lenses - or EF-S glass (though mounting it is nigh impossible)).</p>

<p>Something like this must have happened here otherwise it should have been covered under the camera warranty.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>After much googling, I found a forum post with the same issue as me. The guy said he sent his camera to the California canon repair place and they fixed it for free. I sent mine to the one in Virginia. I spoke to Jim at the national call center in Chesapeake, VA. I asked him if he had a last name or a senior boss above him who I could speak to. He told me he has neither. I kept asking him why this wasn't covered under warranty, and he kept telling me that he couldn't tell me why, because the service department does not "communicate directly with customers" or some BS. He said he could not comment on the condition of my camera because he is not a service technician. I sarcastically said, "I'll just fix it myself with superglue and needle-nose pliers." He began to mock me and said, "I think the epoxy they use is a lot stronger than super-glue." I was frustrated but tried to control myself. After this I lost it. I asked him if he was a certified tech to which he answered no. So, I asked him why he could give me advice about the super-strong epoxy but couldn't make any other comments as to why this supposedly super-strong epoxy CAME LOOSE! Well, that shut up his patronizing, but he kept giving me the run around. <br /><br />I have never attached EF-S lenses. I don't even own an EF-S lens. <br>

So, in summary: <br /><br /></p>

<ol>

<li>I have never used the camera improperly</li>

<li>I have never caused any damage at all</li>

<li>Camera is 6 months old</li>

<li>Canon said a new mirror box is not under warranty</li>

<li>I don't know why they think I need a new mirror box, they just need to glue the mirror back onto the mirror bracket. I don't know how they would know anything because they did not disassemble my camera... Just a visual inspection, because I never authorized the repair order after they sent me the $480 invoice. </li>

<li>There was absolutely NO DAMAGE... the mirror just came loose all by itself. And No, a new mirror box is not under warranty. (according to Jim, not Jim Belushi)</li>

</ol>

<p>Thank you Charles Wood for your input. I am starting to consider switching brands. Nikon is not terribly appetizing and I love my lenses. I just shot a wedding today and some shots showed yellow banding ... whats that about? This was on my OTHER 5Dmk2. Does sony make a body that fits EF lenses? Sigma? haha.. this is ridiculous. </p>

<p>I just got my camera back from canon. They didn't even look at the mirror. I wrapped it in paper and taped it up to keep it safe, but it was never opened. I don't get it... how did they inspect the condition of the mirror if they never looked at it? you can clearly see the residue on the mirror where the glue simply came loose... just glue it back on canon! wow, it doesn't need a new $500 mirror box assembly. why? this is not a technical question... philosophically speaking... why? </p>

• 4 weeks later...

Your problem was Jim. Last month the same thing happened to my ancient 5D (5 years out of warranty). I send it to Canon's NJ service

center and they fixed it for free. They even cleaned the sensor and made minor adjustments for free. I had one other out-of-warranty

repair for free (inoperative preview button on EOS-3). Both times I noted (politely) that these were manufacturing defects and that Canon

should make it right. Mentioning the forum discussions on PN and dpreview didn't hurt.