audio system for video

vincedistefano

<p>Let me preface this by saying that although I'm new to shooting video on DSLRs, I've got a pretty good grip on the pros and cons of recording video on my D800. Just trying to avoid all the "why don't you use a dedicated VC?" debates that always seem to pop up. <br>

Looking for insight from anybody using an external audio system on their Nikons, and for specific recommendations on a good wireless setup. Needs are fairly basic. If it weren't for camera sounds finding their way into recordings, the onboard mic would likely be good enough. Mostly we're talking about corporate, interior, talking-heads type of footage.<br>

TIA for any pointers or recommendations for particular gear. </p>

<p>The name of the game in audio is getting the microphone close to the talent. The only slight exception to this is a quiet studio with a high quality shotgun mic run by a sound man. It is impossible to get quality sound with an on-camera microphone.</p>

<p>For wireless mics, look to Shure, Sennheiser and Audio-Technica. Lavaliers are discrete, or you could use plug-on wireless modules for hand-held mics. Also, you will most likely need some kind of mixer or interface to match levels and connectors with the D800.</p>

<p>The Zoom H4n is the industry standard for one-man-band-DSLR-audio-recording. It takes twin XLR inputs which allows combinations like 1 XLR boom mic + 1 XLR wireless Lav or 2 XLR wireless lavs. However the Zoom H1 is much smaller and less than half the price, and if you just need one mic, sometimes its easier to get a small wired (that's right, wired lav into stereo input) and plug it directly into the H1 and then you essentially have a "wireless" lav because your lav runs right into your recorder which is very small and the person puts into their back pocket or something similar. Of course if you have two people then it really doesn't work, but for one person, I have found this setup to be ideal.</p>

<p>There are much better systems, but they very quickly exceed the cost of your D800. As it is a reasonably priced quality wireless lav setup is in $800-1200 range, and that offers no recorder.</p>

<p>And no, its very difficult to run audio directly into the camera, I recommend staying away from that, its a fact of life that in DSLR land we must sync audio :/</p>