Contax N conversions

randall_pukalo

<p>I have many times seen converted Contax N mount Zeiss lenses up for sale by their former owners, after they paid $$$ for lens and conversion, yet seem to be selling at a potential loss. What are users experiences here with these lenses? Do the expectations live up to the reality?</p>

<p>Many of the lenses are now available new in Canon mount from Zeiss (they call it ZE mount). Unless the price of the converted lens is a lot less than the native-mount version it doesn't seem worth it. There are some interesting zoom lenses made in Contax mount which have not been produced in ZE versions (e.g. the 35-70) but the convenience of a zoom is more than outweighed by the bother of manual aperture and manual focus. The ZE versions have automatic aperture at least.</p>

<p>the benefit of N mount converted lenses over CY or ZE versions is that the N's have autofocus and aperture is controlled by the body once converted to canon mount. prices, imho seem to be at a point that would at least the cost of buying an used lens and the cost of conversion. But if you have to get the AF motor repaired then it becomes expensive.</p>

<p>I own one (50 mm). Current prices for converted 50 lenses are higher than what I paid for lens + conversion. </p>

<p>I don't expect electronics to appreciate in value in any case. Pick your most coveted lens, and think if you'd be surprised if you saw it cheaper used than new. </p>

<p>People sell things for any number of reasons. I wouldn't look too much into it.</p>

<p>I like mine by the way.</p>

<p>Randall,<br>

I have both the 24-85 and 70-200 Vario Sonnars. For me the decision to go this route, versus Canon lenses, was to maintain the Zeiss look I am used to from my C/Y mount Zeiss lenses. I simply like the Zeiss look and the sharpness is just fine too. This goes back to my film days and my Contax RTS II.<br>

I am happy with my choice. The image quality is as I expected: Sharp, contrasty with excellent color and clarity. Both lenses are compact, AF and diaphragm work without issues. Net cost with conversion has been within the cost of Canon equivalent lenses. Keep in mind that by now these lenses can be over 10 years old, with slower AF, no image stabilization and do not have a ring USM. The conversions to Canon EF by Conurus is top notch, AND Conurus stands 100% behind their product. The AF motor on my 24-85 became faulty during the 1 year warranty period and was replaced without charge.<br>

But is this for everyone? No: Conversion can take a long time, all lenses are used and can have issues, you have to prefer the Zeiss look, AF is slower, no image stabilization, and the Contax N lens range is limited. For this reason I will likely go with Canon for wildlife, particularly birds in flight, even though there is a (rare & pricey) Contax N 400 mm lens. Lastly, repairs outside of Conurus warranty work is somewhat involved, since the lenses will need to go back to Kyocera in Japan in their original Contax N mount configuration.<br>

It really boils down to personal preferences. An alternative if you just want the Zeiss look and can live with manual focus and stop down metering, is to go with the C/Y mount lenses and the simple Canon adapters, or the current EF mount lenses with focus confirmation and AE. The lenses are superb!</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I use my unconverted 70-200N to play it's magic on my trusty 175MP sensor that has perfect micro-contarst, sharpness, color saturation, iso etc. The Full Frame 175 MP sensor is made by Fuji, under the brand name Velvia 50.<br>

Shooting the Zeiss on a decent 175MP sensor, not on Xperimental digits, you will note the magic that only Zeiis, Leica, Schneider, Voightlander can make.<br>

Why take this fantastic resolving-power lens, pay 400$ to Canonise, and then use it on 20 something MP digits?</p>