Shooting against sun

peter_berger2

<p>I want to try this popular technique with overexposed sky in the background. Here is an example: http://zeitgeist.onsugar.com/twilight-peggy-sirota-shoots-vanity-fair-2472492 <br />I watched behind the scenes videos from this photo shoot (
) and I was surprised they didnt use any fill light. I tried this technique yesterday, but I didnt manage to capture such wide dynamic range. The background (and rim light) was either totally blow out or the the subject was very underexposed. I was shootig around 5 o'clock in the evening. So were is the trick? Her camera has much wider dynamic range than mine or its something else? Maybe position of the sun?<br /> <br /><br /></p>

<p>Peggy Sirota appears to shoot with MF digital, which does give her a technical advantage, but I expect that the real 'trick' (which isn't a trick) is very careful framing, use of tethered shooting for instant feedback, and burning a LOT of pixels.</p>

<p>Maybe the burning in postproduction is the trick :)<br />What happens to me is that blown out highlights also "contaminates" the edges of the trees and the edges of hair... (I cant remember what is the english term for this "conatamination", I hope you understand me :)<br />When you look at this pictures (by Peggy Sirota), the edges (of hair and trees) are pretty smooth and not blown out... but the sky on the other hand is completely white. Maybe the sky was brightened in the postproduction (and the hair was masked out)?<br /><P><b>Images removed. Per the photo.net Terms of Use, do not post photos that you did not take.</b></p>

<p>Although, from the video, it doesn't look like this is the technique that they used, I would comment that a light high haze in the sky can really help brighten up the shadow side in such shots. It acts like the mother-of-all reflectors. </p>

<p>For the pix you linked to, my guess is similar to yours: they made the background sky about 2 or 3 stops above neutral gray, but not any brighter so that there would still be detail in the hair, and then brought up the darker areas with good PP technique. They also probably used a carefully adjusted matte box and shooting angle so that no direct sun hit the lens, used a really high quality, low flaring lens, etc.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>"<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3841058">Zameen o Aasman</a> , Apr 29, 2012; 08:56 p.m.<br>

Peter<br>

In the Youtube video you referred, they appear to be using small reflectors for fill. Of course, better DR also help as you can pull up shadows just by move of a slider."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The small reflectors are being used to protect the camera lens from flare. Since no reflectors or flash, some post editing is likely done. What specific editing? Not sure, but I could come close in Nikon NX2 pretty quick I believe.</p>

<p>If you look closely at the photo with the lady model crouched down, part of the tree behind her hair is blown out more than the other half. It appears as though a layer brush was done with exposure.</p>