Nikon Sb-700 +EV -EV settings

mikepalo

I shoot a Nikon D200 an just recently bought a sb-700 speed flash. This is my first speed flash and while playing with it I found that if I

change the EV setting + the exposure gets darker and - it gets brighter even though the distance scale on the flash states that + is

increasing the range, which in theory would mean the flash would be outputting more light? Can anyone explain this to me please?

<p>Watch out for exposure compensation on the flash, and on the camera, as they could be cummulative, and possibly counter act ?<br /> The flash shows on the distance scale the maximum range at current camera and flash settings, so it is not guaranteed that you will have brigter pictures, as all depends on possibly other camera automatic settings ?<br /> If you shoot on "P" program automation, and set Auto ISO, and use a different zoom setting, or something, then you kind of loose some degree of controling your exposure.</p>

<p>However, as you were surprised, if everything remains unchanged, then + compensation should provide a bit brighter pictures, unless some other automation factor takes over ...?<br /> Practice flash compensation, with camera in manual mode and in aperture priority mode, and make sure that the shutter speed stays within allows X-Sync speed.<br /> Are you possibly using too fast shutter speed ?, and the flash switches to the FP mode ?, then it may not have sufficient power from the distance/aperture/ISO.<br /> Somewhere you get the limitation or automation factor that produces undesirable or unexpected results. Listen or observe flash warnings.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>" <em>the distance scale on the flash states that + is increasing the range</em>" - are you sure this is what your flash tells you ?</p>

<p>If you request positive amount of compensation (+), so the flash will produce more light, but the maximum distance for possible correct exposure at this stronger light, as shown on the flash LCD screen, should get <strong>smaller</strong>. <br /> If you request that much stronger light for exposure, certainly the maximum distance that the flash can sustain at that increased light intensity, will be shorter. <br /> If you request lower intensity light, by compmensating negative (-) value, the flash will have enough power to produce that decreased intensity light at much longer distance.</p>

<p>I suggest you reset your flash to factory default state, with the 2 finger method.</p>

I shoot on manual mode, so I know that from shot to shot my ISO, Apatute, and shutter speed are not changing. Also i am

sure that the EV on the body is 0. I have been shooting close up portraits (under 10ft) at a local renaissance featival since I purchased

the flash and have noticed that I need to keep the EV at +3 in order to keep from blowing out the images

I've been shooting outdoors in decent sunlight ISO 100-250, shutter 250, Ap 8-16. I'm trying ideally to use the flash just as

a fill light to put a catch light in the eye and remove some of the more harsh shadows around mid day. I just don't

understand the -EV making the images blow out and the +EV making them darker?

<p>I no longer have D200, and never had the SB700, so cannot repeat your scenario.</p>

<p>You could possibly try things like this:</p>

<p>Your camera in Manual mode, set flash to Manual mode, where flash compensation does not apply, and shoot at 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 power ratio setting to make sure the flash works correctly.</p>

<p>Then test your flash in the iTTL mode, and in iTTL/BL mode, and in the FP mode, without any flash light compensation. Observe flash insufficient light warnings, just to be sure. Observe flash distance in each case, and make sure you stay withing the range that displays on the flash. Make sure the flash is fully charged before each test.</p>

<p>Then start adding flash compensation to the automated modes that you tested already, ...</p>

<p>Then perhaps flash evaluation/check up by Nikon Service could be in order. Nikon recommends flash checkup annually, but I never had to do it for my SB800 and SB900 flashes.</p>

Ok after reading one of the earlier responces I think I'm starting to understand the flash a bit more. This may have been an issue of

misunderstanding what the LCD readout was actually telling me. I'm still trying to get used to the flash but I'm getting much more happy

results using the diffuser with or wothout the "zoom" function on the flash as opposed to constantly adjusting the +/- EV. Thanks for the

assistance, It won't let me look at who posted but the explanation of "longer range that the flash can put out the diminished request for

light." that response made me look at the readout differently. Thank you.