35-70mm f3.6 Zuiko ~ Opinions?

donaldamacmillan

<p>Hi folks</p>

<p>I've been using my 35-70mm f3.6 Zuiko for the first time just recently whilst on holiday on the Scottish Western Isles. I used it with my OM-1n. I haven't had the chance yet to send my film away for processing and printing but i am really looking forward to seeing the results, mostly moody landscapes, colour and monochrome, but also some natural light portraits. So, before i see for myself how good image quality is with this lens, what do folks generally think/feel? Should i expect more than decent impressive results with this lens? Assuming of course that i've been exposing my film properly! I bought this lens based on reasonable reviews as a general purpose walkabout lens, are there better options that i might have considered or looked for? </p>

<p>Looking forward to anyone else's opinion/experiences. </p>

<p>Kind regards,<br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>Ok, I was waiting to see if anybody else chimed in before I post, because I haven't any actual experience with these, just what I read on the net. This is from a post on another forum:</p>

<p>Olympus 35-70 f3.6 - superb two-touch lens with fixed aperture. Rare and sought-after.<br /><br />Olympus 35-70 f3.5-4.5 - tiny two-touch zoom, suprisingly sharp a little too much barrel distortion at the wide end for me but a terrific travel lens (weight & size match 50mm primes). Don't confuse it with the inferior Cosina-made f3.5-4.8.</p>

<p>Hi Chris,</p>

<p>Many thanks. I think i'd seen that review that you've seen. I had just wondered if anyone on here has had some hands-on experience and personal opinion .... I always come on here as a first choice source of experience and opinion and appreciate up-to-date comments too. </p>

<p>Kind regards<br>

Donaldo</p>

<p>Hi Louis</p>

<p>Thanks so much! :)) Loved your images, and like many of your responses in particular your portrait and the creek at sunset .... Gorgeous! My spools will be off in the post ASAP! </p>

<p>Some of my images may find their way on here too, possibly .... We'll have to see. </p>

<p>And that 35mm f2 has got me thinking too .... :)) </p>

<p>Donaldo</p>

<p>I'm assuming you have this link:<br>

<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/3570mm.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/3570mm.htm</a><br>

The f3.6 version is always considered to be the finest of the five 35-70mm lenses. I will definitely agree. It is very, very good.<br>

larry</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>I bought one as part of my original OM kit in 1979 and used it at least into the early '90s. It's a very convenient lens, but I eventually came to the conclusion that mine was not as sharp as it should have been. Check your negatives carefully -- if they please you, then enjoy!</p>