5D3 underwater housing?

patflynn

Anyone have a feel for how long it will likely take the usual suspects to churn out underwater housings for the 5D Mark III? With all this

new and improved AF responsiveness and high ISO performance in the 5D3, I'm a bit relieved that I didn't buy a housing for the 5D2. But

what's the wait likely to be for this important 5D3 aftermarket?

<p>Unless there is significant changes in the body size, control locations etc., etc. most housing manufacturer's will continue to use the same housing as they did for the Mark II. But they probably will update their marketing strategy to include the Mark III in their advertising. As well, they might even up the price a bit!</p>

<p>I base my opinion on my ancient experience's in UW photography back in the mid-70's. My underwater housings were manufactured by Ikelite, and I had one housing that fit my Canon AT-1, AE-1 & A-1 FD mounts. In other words, Ikelite's housing fit all Canon "A" Series camera bodies.<br>

I expect it would be the same for most of the EOS line. Especially the EOS 5's for at least a couple of generations of that camera body as long as the size and control locations are the same.</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd contact your preferred housing manufacturer and talk with one of the Design/Engineers. At least that was possible "back in the day!"<br>

I've been away from the underwater stuff for so long now, . . . "I may be all wet!"</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Avery Wrote:<br>

*sigh* If only I had $6650 lying around. I will assume that the changes to the mkiii body were significant enough to necessitate a new housing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was just looking at the dpreview side by side comparisons. The bodies (button placement) although similar are probably too different to re-use an existing housing (acrylic or metal). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>James Wrote:<br>

Unless there is significant changes in the body size, control locations etc., etc. most housing manufacturer's will continue to use the same housing as they did for the Mark II. But they probably will update their marketing strategy to include the Mark III in their advertising. As well, they might even up the price a bit!<br>

I base my opinion on my ancient experience's in UW photography back in the mid-70's. My underwater housings were manufactured by Ikelite, and I had one housing that fit my Canon AT-1, AE-1 & A-1 FD mounts. In other words, Ikelite's housing fit all Canon "A" Series camera bodies.<br />I expect it would be the same for most of the EOS line. Especially the EOS 5's for at least a couple of generations of that camera body as long as the size and control locations are the same.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think a lot has changed these days. If you look at Ikelite's latest catalog (same goes for Aquatica, Nauticam, etc) they pretty much have a dedicated enclosure for every DSLR. You would think the Canon Rebel series would have the most common enclosures but even those are different enough that mfg's have them dedicated for each model with just a few exceptions. If you think about it from a business point of view it makes sense. It is now a lot easier to make a new housing (I'm not saying it's easy, just much easier than it was before given design and mfg technology). So its in their best interest to make a new housing for every camera. If they made one that last for all three variants of the 5D they would make a lot less money. Sure, it would make the uw photog happier but happier in this case probably means less profit.</p>

<p>Its interesting looking at the changes. I think the shutter button is close enough to maybe work on both but it probably moved a bit. The top dial is pushed back just enough that a 5D2 housing may not be able to roll it. The row of top mode buttons look pretty close but also look back a bit. Of course, if the tripod socket were a bit more forward they might all line up again. But that would mean the back of the camera is closer to the rear of the enclosure which would probably muck up other stuff. </p>

<p>Then there are rear changes too that are "sorta close" but probably not close enough. All the rear left side buttons are higher up. The rear upper right buttons (zoom, exposure, AF) look to arc downward more. Plus there are new buttons and the power switch changed location. </p>

<p>Actually, I think the best money spent on UW DSLR (w/r to Canon) is a crop body - with a few exceptions. IMHO, the best choice is a 7D. You get a great focusing system, better controls, great screen and you get to use EF-S lenses which for wide angle tend to be smaller and cheaper. The 7D (and the Rebels) can optically trigger strobes so less penetrations and cables. The 7D has MFA (handy). If you can live w/o the focus system then the T2i (or T3i) is probably even better as its smaller and will give you another $800 to spend on lens or strobe. The EF-S 60mm macro on a crop body is about perfect for size and weight. The ISO's on the later crop bodies are darned good. Besides, when shooting with strobes you're probably at ISO 100 anyways.</p>

<p>The exceptions. For the 5D2 (and now the 5D3) you have better ISO (for underwater wide angle shots where strobe won't cover the entire frame). There are some really good ultra-wide angles available where the crop sensor lens lineup is weak (14mm on FF for example). Finally, you can just crop and crop with 22MP and still get usable imags. Here's an example from a trip this winter.</p>

<p>Sargassum Triggerfish (1 Strobe, heavily cropped from 22MP).<br>

<a href="http://www.amazonbeach.com/PhotoVideo/Cozumel2012/slides/20120302111024_5D2_IMG_0446.html">http://www.amazonbeach.com/PhotoVideo/Cozumel2012/slides/20120302111024_5D2_IMG_0446.html</a><br>

<br>

If a person really wants to go full frame underwater I would think the Nikon D800 would be the better choice today - unless it's focus system has some problem yet to be found. With a 14mm ultra wide angle a diver can shoot video, unlit landscapes and even fire a strobe and crop from the middle perhaps enough to still have workable images for web and print. Plus it has a built in flash to optically fire strobes. And if they could get that 14-24 lens inside - wow! But that setup will approach $10K with a decent strobe or video torch and required ports.</p>

<p>On the flip side, a 7D in a ikelite housing with a Tokina 11-16 and a 60mm macro plus a strobe / torch will be closer to $5K leaving plenty of money to travel, buy lenses, etc. And image differences between the two probably won't be enough to justify the cost unless its being published. Go with a T3i instead and you'll save another $700. </p>

<p>Hopefully, the 5D3 and D800 are now more customizable w/r to whitebalance. Ideally a single button press would sample the image area and apply the new values all in one action. This would be useful for normal photography and videography as well.</p>

<p>All that being said, I have a 5D2 housing so if anyone wants to give me their 5D3 I'll happily try it out for them - no warranties implied or given of course!</p>

<p>Your thread got my curiosity stirred, . . .<br />From Ikelite's website;</p>

<blockquote>

<p>" <strong>Looking for a brand new or recently announced model?</strong><br />In general, we do not receive new camera models in advance of the general public. We require a physical production unit to begin our prototyping process. Once we are in possession of a new camera model and decide to offer a compatible housing, we are typically able to begin production within two to six weeks.<br />Information on new models will be posted on the corresponding manufacturer's camera chart the moment it becomes available. Our office staff is unable to provide "advanced information" beyond what is posted on our website."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And, when looking at their Canon Availibility chart, . . .</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"5D Mark III SLR - Prototype currently in development. Availibility date unknown."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just in case you're interested, . . . Ikelite's website is here;<br /><a href="http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/1digital.html">http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/1digital.html</a><br />Guess they don't prefer calling anymore for "advanced information!" Go figure!<br />Best wishes,<br />Jim j.</p>

<p>Sorry Brad,<br>

Looks like we were both posting at the same time!</p>

<p>FWIW: Canon 5D3 physically doesn't operate in Sea & Sea housing for 5D2 (MSD-PRO 5D Mark II) and it is rather unlikely that the new 5D model will operate in any existing UW housing due to design changes. One needs the housing designed specifically for the camera body used and lens ports designed for the lenses used: jerry-rigged UW housings might turn out to be a very poor investment (=one might lose one's $$$ camera...)</p>

<p>Exactly. But I'd guess they are already at the prototype stages. Catia and Solidworks (or whatever CAD system that particular company uses) can modify the existing (mk2) design easily and quickly. The changes are so small that I'd guess they've already done them, and have a prototype in hand. Given the price tag, time to market is going to be critical (especially for the summer season), so you know they are working on it now. Testing is of course next, and if any given company isn't at the point where they have already scheduled prototype testing, then they are late to the game.</p>

<p>Overall, I'd expect them to be in production, and shipping (from somebody) NLT the end of May. </p>

<p>Funny, I would expect their NLT release dates would be more into the fall. There are so many people that travel and dive in the winter that they could probably miss out on a few summer sales but I'm pretty sure all of them will have 5D3 housings by this fall.</p>

<p>They won't be cheap though! </p>

<p>Re: "Jerry rigged" housings - not sure if any one is actually suggesting them, actually I think the opposite as the bodies and lenses are so expensive and its hard to imagine an insurance claim would, er uh ... hold water :)</p>

<p>However, I have seen a few 5D housings modified to run 5D2's. Saved the photog about $1600 (they were Ikelite conversions). But they had about $3500 of equipment at risk when they did it.</p>