33-55 zoom for the P645 offer their opinion on it (build quality,

optical performace etc.) There is surprisingly little archived on

this site about it yet. Pointers to any online reviews would also

be appreciated.

Looking for prices of the FA 45/2.8 I noticed that the 33-55 zoom

isn't that much more, and it would let me get rid of my 55/2.8 at

the same time. One specific concern I have is the ability to use

an ND grad filter system with it (I had Singh-Ray and Cokin

holder in mind), considering the 82 mm filter size.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter, I can't help you regarding the lens, but I can tell you that there are is at

least one filter system that can easily cope with an 82mm filter size and that is

Lee. I don't know what dimensions your existing filters are, but the Lee filters

are all 100mm across the way, which gives ample coverage for most lenses.

Like you I have heard little about the 33-55mm, but I do recall one or two users having good results.

Is it not on the heavy side? As far as filters, I have had no luck finding a filter that does not effect image edges on my 35mm F3.5.

I like the 55mm F2.8 a lot BTW (wide/fast/cheap/and sharp).

Quote:<i>Looking for prices of the FA 45/2.8 I noticed that the 33-55 zoom isn't that much more</i><p>

Really? I got my FA45mm 2.8 for under $600. The lowest I've seen the 33-55 is Delta International at $1060.<p>

Regarding ND-grads, I have the Lee System. I've used it with 95mm diameter lenses (4x5) with no prob. Best all around system.<p>

BTW, I'm in the process of getting a 645A-35mm which will accomidate my 77mm Circ-pol and 77mm Lee adapter ring nicely (same as my FA45-85).<p>

The 33-55/4.5 is sharper than the FA 45/2.8 lens. The only "problem" with the zoom is that it plane of focus isn't really a plane but a curved surface. This is no big deal if you shoot three dimensional subject as opposed to test targets. It is sharpest at the 33mm setting and progressively worse (but still good) at 55mm. It is practically speaking on level with the FA 75/2.8 in sharpness with very little differences between the apertures except for in edge sharpness.