Bronica Zenzanon MC f/2.8 by Carl Zeiss Jena

theo_bern

<p>Hello,<br /> I just bought this and I wondered if the lens lived up to the Zeiss name and delivered enough extra image quality over the Nikkor 75mm f/2.8 ? Is it the same lens formula as the Biometar 80/2.8 for Pentacon Six/Praktisix/Kiev 60/Exakta 66?<br /> I really like the standard Nikkor-P 75/2.8 but is the Zenzanon MC 80/2.8 "by CZJ" really better?<br /> Sharper, better resolution, better bokeh? I've heard that open to f/4, it has a "swirling" bokeh as seen on the Biometar. At f/5.6 and after, is it equal or better than the Planar 80/2.8 on the Rolleiflex TLR? And can it focus down closer than the Planar 80/2.8 on the Hasselblad 500?<br /> Thank you in advance for your replies.<br /> Theo</p>

<p>According to the only discussions I could find, the lens is identical to the Biometar 80mm for the Pentacon 6. If that's true (and Sturgeon's Law about 90%... applies here) it is in fact a very good lens.<br>

Not as good as the P6 180mm Sonnar, but good enough to be used on small film format cameras and still be sharp and clear.<br>

There are discussions out there about this if you Google™ "Zenzanon and Zeiss" asking your very question.</p>

<p>Thank you JDM for your speedy response.<br /> I've already Google it and it seems that there are not so many discussions over it. I was hoping that a fellow Photonet member has or had this lens and his opinion.<br /> I have to wait until it arrives and I will tested myself :) after all is a Carl Zeiss Lens and it MUST be good.<br /> Thanks again<br /> Theo</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>I have one of these and really like it, but I mostly use the 75mm f2.8 Nikkor HC, which is one of the best lenses I've ever used. The Nikkor HC is a 6-element design, as opposed to the 5-element Nikkor P and PC. My 80mm CZJ Bronica lens is quite sharp and the colors it renders are a bit on the "pastel" side, imo, which I like. All the "normal" lenses for the older Bronicas are very good, in my experience, with (again my opinion/experience only) the 80mm f2.4 Zenzanon MC (made in Japan, not the f2.8 CZJ lens) and the 75mm Nikkor HC being the sharpest (as far as I can judge from scans made with my Nikon 9000). To my eye, however, the Nikkor HC has a really incredible 3-dimensional rendering that makes the images really vivid. I love that lens!</p>

• 4 years later...