Nikon DX Set-up for Macro

mickey_anderson

<p>I'm a bit confused with the terms "micro" & "macro" photography, so a bit of research turned up this <a href="http://thomasshahan.com/photos">LINK</a>. His set-up is a reverse 28mm on a Pentax with extension tube(s). There are several other PN sites that refer to macro set-ups for various camera makes. <br>

What would be the minimum a photog would need to invest in (lenses, tubes?, adapters, etc.) to be able to capture similar pictures with using a Nikon DX body? Say perhaps a D7000 or D5100. </p>

<p>Easiest is a micro nikkor lens for image magnification to 1:1. You can write a whole book to answer your simple question. <br /> For taking pictures of even smaller things, have a look here: http://www.krebsmicro.com/</p>

<p>Nikon confuse the terms a little, their micro nikkor lenses are macro lenses in most peoples definition, macro usually referring to up to or slightly greater than life size images on the film or sensor, micro referring to images at higher magnifications, up to 1600 times, usually made with a microscope objective and lighting.</p>

<p>Mickey,</p>

<p>There are lots of ways to get down to a 1:1 ratio. But getting that number isn't the only thing to consider. <br>

1) Do you have a good support for your camera and lens ? Does that include a focusing rail ? I don't have a rail system, but after trying my hand at close-up photography a bit, I can see how being able to move the camera in very small increments to change the focus and framing would be a good thing.</p>

<p>2) How far away from your subject do you need or want to be ? Some cool looking creatures may be on your list of subjects. Do you want to scare them with a camera and lens an inch away from them, or would you prefer to be some distance away ? Some things you don't WANT to be right on top of !</p>

<p>As far as Nikon stuff goes, I'll leave it to others to suggest specific lenses. I have been experimenting with a simple PN-11 ( 52mm ) extension tube and various lenses to see how they work together. To get 1:1 I think I would need to put it on a 50mm lens. But that would put the front of the lens VERY close to the subject , so I've been using my 105mm lens and 75-150mm zoom to get a feel of things.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are many options at many different prices levels. The absolute minimum cost and equipment wise would be $10 tubes that will work with your current lenses. Possibly the best choice (for working distance and IQ) and highest cost is Nikons 200mm f4 Micro - exceptional IQ and excellent working distance. The best compromise in cost and working distance might be Nikon's 105mm lenses which offer excellent IQ and reasonable working distance at a more affordable cost. Nikon's 105mm f4 AIS is most affordable, followed by the f2.8 version, AF f2.8 version and at the highest costs, the f2.8 AF-S (newest) lens.</p>

<p>For this sort of image-stacked supermacro stuff you need: <br>

- BR-2A reversal adapter (preferably genuine, some copies are poor) <br>

- $10 dumb F-mount extension tubes; bellows are easier to adjust but clumsier to carry<br>

- a lens; preferably 20mm to 50mm prime (the shorter the more magnification) <br>

A short macro prime such as Nikkor 55/3.5 focused suitably close (to the sensor!) should be better at short extensions (for 1x...3x magnification, depends on the FL)<br>

At longer extensions (for high magnifications) macro capability is not required but you may want a larger aperture if you don't want too much diffraction blur. <br>

Some folks use enlarger lenses cheap nowadays...<br>

You will probably need a good manual flash with an improvised diffuser. <br>

And a good workbench with a micrometer shift table, at least a good focus rail. <br>

And focus stacking software (Zerene, Helicon; I think some freeware can be found too though not recommended). <br>

The photomacrography forum is the best info resource. <br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/sets/72157604592459772/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhallmen/sets/72157604592459772/</a></p>

<p>Some means of screwing the camera to the table may be better than a bad tripod. <br>

If you have second thoughts regarding focus stacking, single shots are doable handheld with flash. But DoF will be very thin at high magnifications, even if you stop down the aperture all the way. Try shorter lenses, for least blur of the out-of-focus regions. Btw kit lenses 18-xx(x) reversed @18mm, preferably with some extension, may be used for practice. </p>

<p>Mickey, I've been experimenting with this. </p>

<p>The images on the site you reference are much more than 1:1. Just a guess is they are 3x or 5x.</p>

<p>To get this magnification, you want to put your lens an inch or so from the subject and a foot or so from the camera. This is very rough, but you get the idea. Here's how I do it:<br>

- Nikon PB-4 bellows. Better than a long stack of extension tubes.<br>

- Between bellows and body, a "chipped" M extension tube (Google Rorslett chips tube)<br>

- Nikon BR-2A on the front of the bellows to reverse the lens<br>

- Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AIS or one of the 55mm macros<br>

- To focus, move the sensor (camera body), not the lens. Live-view helps greatly.<br>

- For the 28 (with floating element), set lens focus based on lens-sensor distance<br>

- Focus stacking with Helicon Focus software</p>

<p>Good luck. Macro beyond 1:1 is difficult but very interesting. Read up on diffraction in macro photography. </p>

<p>For photographing objects the size of a single flower blossom, there's nothing like a regular macro lens (that is, in Nikon nomenclature, a "Micro-Nikkor." Same on down to the size of a coin or postage stamp.</p>

<p>For photographing objects the size of an ant or the head of a fly, it's a different story.</p>