churches

<p>I believe Jess wants to advertise his jobs through (by) the churches because the wedding people would go to a church to prepare for their ceremony.<br>

I think that there is nothing wrong (or tacky) in doing that but you must give the "pastors" a good reason to advertise for you and that reason should not be money. Some good reason is that you are a "good" person who often goes to that church</p>

Go to churches you really like to shoot in, either the beauty of it or that it isn't super dark, or that you really like the

congregation. See if you can meet with the pastor, reverend, father, etc (make sure you know the correct term in

advance for that specific church), and then be honest with them. If, and only if you really shoot this way, tell them how

you are a photographer that believes the ceremony is very special and that you have the upmost respect for it. Because

of that you would follow whatever rules he or she would like you to follow with regard to taking pictures. Again, ONLY

say this if you really do intend to follow those rules to a T. Many other photographers completely disregard these rules

and it drives the officiant nuts, so this may make you really stand out. And offer to give the officiant a shot of them with

the couple for free. Many officiants like to keep these in albums, etc, especially if they are from weddings involving actual

parishioners from the church that they know well. The most important thing is to be nice and courteous and friendly.

These are the qualities that will stick in their mind the next time they have a couple come in and choose their church for

the ceremony.

<p>I did some free work for one of the churches in my area that was having a Bicentennial....and some of the functions i shot for other churches...no charge. Never asked the Father or Pastors to recommend my services...but had a couple brides say the Pastors had mentioned me. So that was unexpected but nice.</p>

<p>I find it interesting that someone referred to me as 'he' but beyond that...<br>

thanks for the advice..perhaps another thing I will try is to make an appt to see the pastor and show him my portfolio...then he / they can honestly suggest me if someone is looking for a wedding photographer. It's just a bit difficult in the country as they're only at their churches during services and rarely have answering machines..may have to resort to going through friends who go to those churches for an appt... seems the less tacky thing to do,,making an appt with the portfolio...</p>

<p>Hi Jess,</p>

<p>I infer that you are possibly looking to advertise your services through your local churches. Where are you located? Some churches have notice boards. You could ask whether they would be willing to let you put up a small ad on that board. Others put up wedding banns on their boards. You could then perhaps approach the couple and offer your services.</p>

<p>A lot depends on how traditional the particular church (and officiant) is. Some are quite happy to refer you while others are not willing to. Most of my work comes through referrals from past clients, not through churches. Your demographic, however, may vary.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Buy ad space in their weekly bullitin, get to know the secretary who manages things, go stop and see them and introduce yourself, don't be too pushy. I do volunteer projects for two churches and get asked about small jobs, christenings, baptism portraits, small 2 hour weddings. Perfect for me, I'm not looking for any big jobs.</p>