best gear for street photographer? Olympus OM-D or Fuji X pro 1?

I have not seen side by side comparisons, but based on some comments, some experience and lot of past knowledge of both companies, I would guess that the Fuji lenses are very good, some Olympus m4/3 lenses are also very good, namely the 12 and 45, while many of the other Olympus lenses are only average, most if not all the zooms, and the 17. The Lumix 20 and Leica 25 are also very good and very suitable for street photography. I would rather get faster AF than better image quality for street photography, choosing from these two very good alternatives. I would also rather get a fast lens, 1.4-1.8 than a 2.8 or 4. It helps with both focusing and lower ISO. Panasonic is supposed to come with a fast high grade normal zoom, something like a 2/14-50.

Woao, lots of good infos! Thanks a lot guys... Yes i agree that fast (and accurate) focusing is even more important, than IQ and yes, prime lens is probably the way to go with these little cameras. I have been looking at the "compare"page" from DPreview, comparing the NEX5, the OM-D-M5, the Xpro1 and the NEX7. I'm quite puzzled by the difference between RAW and JPG (i always shoot raw and do the work with lightroom)Another point i consider: being able to change settings manually (without going through the lcd screen) is greatly welcomed...

Imaging-resource.com measured X-Pro1 single-area AF at .369 second with the 35/1.4 lens. Multi-area was much worse, .626 second. They have not yet measured the E-M5, but I wager it will be faster with most M.Zuiko lenses. The E-P3 with 14-42 kit lens measured .205 for single-area AF, .267 for multi-area.

<p>Louis, thanks for the tip about the Sony NEX 5N. That thing looks like the bees knees, and a great price.</p>

<p>Bill, thanks for the reference to imaging-resoure.com. I'd been looking for a site that compiled AF/shutter response info. Very handy.</p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>I normally shoot a D700. "Street" is not my thing however I can see why you are considering these cameras. I did too, plus the Nex7 and the Nikon V1. They're all quite different of course but I could probably have adapted to the limitations each camera exhibits. Crudely summarised. Nex 7; lenses too big and it's Sony. V1; sensor too small and lacking external controls (the next version will be very good I suspect). X-Pro 1; the evf / ovf option, its USP - I couldn't get both in focus whilst wearing glasses. And it's too expensive for what it is.</p>

<p>It took me about ten minutes of handling the OM-D (which I'd previously discounted as over-hyped) before I pulled the card out of my pocket. Small, a large selection of small lenses (many both inexpensive and very good), and an excellent EVF. £1150 with the very serviceable 12-50 (24-100 equivalent) weather sealed macro kit zoom. I added a couple of Panasonic primes immediately. The 14mm 2.5 - broken out of a Panasonic kit - costs about £115 and it's really quite decent, even very sharp in the middle. The 20/1.7 is just plain excellent although F2 is more usable than 1.7 if you want sharp all round.</p>

<p>I imagine for a street photographer the tiltable touch screen would be a big plus. You can even fire the shutter from it. Overall the controls, whilst small, are highly configurable even though the menu system is initially quite labrynthine. You can find innumerable examples of the IQ on the web. Michael Reichmann on Luminous Landscape has a good user review as do several other noted photographers.</p>

<p>The camera handles beautifully. Recommended by me, FWIW.<br>

Roy</p>

Thanks for all comments. I have been digging and digging on all i could find on the web about these cameras; i came up with 3 winners, the fuji X pro 1 (best IQ), the olympus OM D (best autofocus, and best over all) and the sony Nex7. From these 3 i chose the Olympus, because of its overall qualities (for street shooting) like Af, stabilizator, weather seal, and IQ similar to the sony. Then i went to a photo store who has them all in stock and... man the sony just fit in my hand so great, the battery compartment is just perfect to hold the camera, to twist it, to shoot from the waist, to juggle... I gave up the fuji because of its poor AF. When i hold the olympus, it wasn't so good, i always had to keep my smallest finger (called picky? sorry for my english, i'm french) under the camera in order to hold it properly. It's too small and there is not enough rubber or shape to hold the camera properly and easily . Didn't like...

So now i am thinking of buying the sony...

<p>I'm in the same boat. I have a 5DII but need a small 'walkabout' / 'street photography' camera with excellent image quality.<br>

My guess is that that requires the biggest possible sensor (not necessarily with the most pixels crammed onto it).<br>

The nex 7 has a 23.4mmx15.6mm sensor and the Olympus has a 17.3mmx13mm sensor. I don't know but it seems that the Nex 7 should really beat the IQ of the Olympus?<br>

Have you seen this though? :<br>

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/olympus_om_d_e_m5_review.shtml</p>

That is right, the chosen lens makes a big difference, that is why i like to check different sources. Now i am reading that according to this: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_nex_7_rolling_review.shtml#28 IQ of the nex5 is similar to IQ of nex7... more to think about (nex5 is way cheaper)

In conclusion, i think that the olympus and the sony are very similar in term of overall qualities, the olympus has more features for street shooting, but the handling sucks for me...

<p>If quality is similar then I'd go with the 'handling'....which camera does one want to pick and use. Comfort level is important so that the camera can become a part of you and not get in the way.<br>

<br />What are the 'street photography' features that you prefer on the olympus<br>

and<br>

what is it about the olympus that makes 'handling' poor ?</p>

the olympus has image stabilization, weather seal, a nice choice of good lenses, super fast autofocus, great customization, tilt screen, sony do not have the IS, the weather seal, and not so many good lenses. But just go to the store and grab the olympus, maybe it will fit in your hand, i didn't like because too small, i had to keep a finger under the camera to hold it. Just not easy and comfortable vs the sony feel so good... So in conclusion, they are both great i believe, details are different and it is best to hold it before you buy it

<p>I just got back from a camera store and looked at the two of them. II have very big hands and the Nex 7 definitely fitted in my hand better.<br>

But when the battery/grip was attached to the Olympus it was good too. Only then it is no longer such a 'small' camera.<br>

I agree with you about all the Olympus advantages - weather sealed, IS in body not lenses, it has a Quieter shutter which is a big advantage to me, and a large range of lenses to choose from.<br>

<br />I love the Nex having a much larger sensor which I'm sure must translate into finer image quality and much larger print possibilities.<br>

Very difficult to choose between them</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>the OM-D E-5 gets a lot of things right. AF and in-body stabilization being among them. i just dont see the Xpro as excelling at street shooting because of slow AF. the Xpro seems to need a firmware update as well, plus there are only three lenses currently available for it.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I've been using Olympus OM-D for couple months but not X-Pro1. Therefore it is not about which one is better. In my opinion, Olympus OM-D do perform well compared to my Canon 5D mkIII in terms of fast autofocus, low light (high ISO shooting), color and exposure metering. I am using the kit lens 12-50mm which turned out to be very versatile compared to my Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L lens. Of course you can't compare these two different cameras (DSLR and micro 4/3), but for street photography, non intimidating camera, Olympus OM-D works really well... So if you are considering migrating from Canon DSLR to micro 4/3, OM-D is the right one to go...</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>I've been reviewing the threads in this section and am quite surprised that the Panny GX1 isn't mentioned more. It has an Focus acquisition to shutter actuation speed of around 1/5th of a second in good light. It is also very nice in-hand and gives good IQ. Am I missing something about this model that's no mentioned in the reviews or noticeable from in-store handling?</p>