Scratch on D200 sensor? (and shutter life)

michael_c18

<p>I just bought a D200 from KEH (in BGN condition) and I'm overall very pleased with the camera: it seems to function just fine and looks great (with some expected minor wear on the bottom at contact points).</p>

<p>However, after taking a look at the sensor (by taking a shot of an out-of-focus cloudy sky at f/22), I noticed not only the expected sensor dust, but what looks like a scratch, about 1/3 of the way in from the left and 1/3 of the way down from the top. Below is the shot with exaggerated contrast; the 100% view of the scratch is inset in the lower right. The original shot (SOOC, no manipulation of contrast) is beneath that, and still shows the scratch, though less visibly.</p>

<p>Is this something to worry about?</p>

<p>Also, the shutter has nearly 76,000 actuations, and from what I can tell the D200 is only rated to 100,000...of course, the shutter may not fail until well after that, but it also may fail before. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I have to say, I'm inclined to send the camera back to KEH (within the 14-day return period) and hope for a better one on the next time around, but I thought I'd ask here first.</p>

<p>Just checking, with both shots, are they 100% frame? Is there a lens fitted? Those BLOBS are the biggest I've ever seen, muck on the back element of the lens maybe? The expected sharp, black dots are more usual! I'd think small fibre fragment rather than scratch.</p>

<p>76000 is a lot, and whether it's too many depends purely on how much you paid for, what is undeniably, 'Old Tech'.</p>

<p>With the D3200 coming out in a few weeks, I'm sure in a few more weeks there will be some body only deals as sellers separate components. I expect that camera to be superior in EVERY way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With the D3200 coming out in a few weeks, I'm sure in a few more weeks there will be some body only deals as sellers separate components. I expect that camera to be superior in EVERY way.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Except...</p>

<p>The ability to meter with MF lenses, the ability to control external Speedlights from the on-board flash, DoF preview, all the stuff that goes along with higher-end cameras. </p>

<p>Anything below the 7000 at this point has no appeal for a lot of us who desire even just gridlines and CLS control. (I, myself, can live without MF lens support. I just use sunny 16 on the two MF lenses I own.</p>

<p>If that were me, I'd shoot till the camera died, as those don't look like issues that would appear in many (if any) photos.</p>

<p>Well, YES! Apart from those! </p>

<p>I'm not sure I'd think about ever getting a well used D200.... the inabilty to do zoomed Live-View focus on effectively MF lenses. Metering is just fine for non moving objects, by Histogram inspection.</p>

<p>I'd probably try to find a 'cheap' D90....... But it still depends on PRICE.... I guess it was very in-expensive!</p>

<p> I would clean the sensor first and if the mark is still there then I would send it back and just get a different one. I think it is just dirty or possibly a piece of debris. The large spots are just the normal dirt. My D200 sensor has had all those types of things in the past and they just clean right off so far. Swabbing a sensor takes about 3 minutes. </p>

<p>If that was a scratch, shot at f22, it would have sharp, hard edges.</p>

<p>Lock the mirror up for sensor cleaning and look at the sensor with a bright light at different angles; you should be able to see a scratch in the protective glass. It looks like stains or residue from prior cleanings. Dirt, particles & scratches will appear with sharp edges at f22.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, the shutter has nearly 76,000 actuations, and from what I can tell the D200 is only rated to 100,000...of course, the shutter may not fail until well after that, but it also may fail before. Any thoughts?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is always true. The 100k is a MTBF, so a statistical most likely value. As you wrote: it could fail tomorrow, it may work another few years - no way to say with certainty. If you bought the camera new, the same would be true, in fact (though your D200 is reaching its statistical likelihood more). I'd just use it, and if/when the shutter fails, see if it's economically viable to have it fixed.<br>

It's more that 76k means it's used quite a bit - without seeing the body, it's hard to judge if that use left other trails? But if the camera otherwise looks and works fine, I would not find this point particularly problematic, if the price of the D200 was right.</p>

<p>The spot to me looks like dirt, as Bruce said, it probably would look hard-edged if it is a scratch on filter in front of the sensor, and I'd guess it should render different artifacts too.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input!</p>

<p>Mike: for both shots, the photo is the full frame, shrunk down to 700px wide, and the close-up/inset in the lower right is a 100% view of the region around the mark. I had a lens fitted at the time, and though it has some small dust on the rear element, there's nothing major. My budget is around $400, stretching to $450, tops. I looked for a used D90 but they were all well above that...any other recommendations for that price range? I've borrowed a D200 for about 9 months and like the size (and I'm satisfied with the features and image quality), but I haven't tried a smaller body yet either. I do occasionally use the built-in CLS commander on the D200, and would miss that somewhat on a body that didn't have it. I also have a 50mm f/1.8D, which I'd use less on a body lacking a focusing motor. (Not a deal-breaker, though.)</p>

<p>Peter: I may do that...though there are a couple of people locally who just posted ads with used D200s, and I'm going to check them out and compare. If they aren't appreciably better, I'll likely just keep this one. How much weight would you give the KEH 6-month warranty vs. a local buy?</p>

<p>Ross: I've never cleaned a sensor; I've been too nervous about damaging it. I have a rocket blower, which I tried, but it didn't move the fiber (or whatever it is). Lacking a wet-cleaning kit, I'm not sure I can do much more.</p>

<p>Bruce: I did that, and I found the mark. Visually, it looks quite sharp and unusually straight; I'm used to debris being curved or wiggly, so I'm not sure what to make of that. It's reassuring that it may not be a scratch, though.</p>

<p>Wouter: it does seem to check out in all other respects: it focuses well, the flash functions appropriately, the screw drive works, and the frame is illuminated evenly at 1/8000. No hot pixels or mechanical damage, etc. Just curious, what other artifacts would you expect if this were a scratch? (Hopefully it is not!)</p>

<p>Again, thanks to everyone for the help!</p>

<p>I've had my D200 since 2006, and other DSLRs and have never used a wet cleaning kit. Ever. If the crud doesn't come off with a blower, then I use a Lens Pen. Nikon was giving them away at one of the Photo Expos I went to, and if it won't damage lens coatings, it won't damage the protective glass over the sensor.</p>

<p>I also suspect that whatever is on the glass isn't visible when taking pictures, unless it's clear blue sky.</p>

<p>If it would be a scratch, it would be on the filters in front of the sensor. If those would be damaged, I'd expect severe discoloration and real anamolies. If it would be really the sensor, I cannot imagine those pixels would be working any longer - and hence be either pure black or pure white, not this medium grey.I never saw the effects, but following a bit the logic on sensors, this is what I'd expect.<br>

This really just looks like a larger piece of dust.</p>

<p>My D200 shutter was at 115,000 and still going strong last summer. I got it replaced, but just because other things were messed up with the camera, it was already at Nikon, and they charge a flat rate, so might as well get it done. The rubber had come loose from the camera body, the main command dial was gunked up and worked erratically, there was an LCD scratch, the aperture tab was bent a bit, etc. All of that was more of a testament to the former owner's rough and tumble lifestyle than a statement on the D200's durability.</p>