Rollei SL66E Opinions

bruce_dorn1

<p>I'm looking for a "walking around" camera in 6x6. It has to be able to close focus. The choice is between an SL66 or a Hasselblad, but the 'blad will need an extension tube that I'm not fond of. The SL is heavier so I don't know how "portable" it is. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>The SL66 is a really interesting camera, in that you do have bellows focusing and some tilt effects. </p>

<p>However, it is pricy and bulky (nearly 4.5 pounds). Do a flickr search for pictures of people holding the camera to get an idea.</p>

<p>If you can do with a TLR, take a look at the Mamiya C330 or C220 which are both <4lbs with standard lens. Much less expensive. Still kind of bulky and heavy compared to a Rolleiflex.</p>

<p>Personally, my favorite walking around camera in 6x6 is my Rolleicord Va. I keep a rolleinar 2 in one of those handy leather pouches hanging from the strap if I need it. All in all it weighs slightly less than 2lbs. </p>

<p>Thanks, Ryan. I have both a Mamiya C330 (50, 80, 105, 135, & 180) & a Yashica MAT124G, both of which I have had forever., or so it seems. Neither does close-up well & that is a primary desire. I've used the C330 to do it, but it's not intuitive or really good. I was hoping a Rollei would work. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Bruce, <br>

depending on how close you want to focus the 200/2000-series from Hasselblad might be an option - the shutterless lenses have a reduced minimum focusing distance (0.6m for the 2.8/80 Planar, about 0.32m for the great in every way 2.8/50 Distagon).<br>

I have a 2000 FC/M and love it, just like the SL66 (the grip is really helpful for longer sessions).<br>

Every system has is own positive and negative sides.</p>

<p>If you need to get closer you might consider a macro lens even thiugh that would be longer than normal in focal length/actual length. This could work with a Bronica SQ/SQ-A. SQ-Ai. If you don't like using an extension tube then you might look for a high quality close-up lens. </p>

<p>I would guess that a Hasselblad with extension tubes is still going to be lighter than the SL66. I had an SL66SE. Superbly beautiful camera, but huge, compared to the Hasselblad. I sold the SL66SE quickly.<br>

Is there any way that you can find and try an SL66 before buying?<br>

If you are used to using a Hasselblad, I think you may be surprised and disappointed with the SL66.</p>

<p>Close up is one thing the SL66 does very well. It's a handful though. I haven't used a Hasselblad. I find that hand held, since the focus is on the left and shutter on the right there's a lot of grip changing going on when taking shots in quick succession. I do like the waist level finder. The optional handgrip would make it better for a busy session but it makes it rather bulky.</p>

<p>I use a Mamiya 6 when I'm wandering around or traveling because of its light weight but close focusing it doesn't do at all well.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I use my Hasselblad 501CM and 80/2.8 CFE with Proxars for closeups. Seems quite light and compact to me. Some people say Proxars degrade image, but I don't see that. They're handier than extension tubes. </p>

<p>Here's a picture shot with the Rollei „Slixtysix” at close range (don't know if this one qualifies as „Macro”).<br>

Planar 2.8/80 reversed and at about f/2.8-4, handheld, expired Delta 400 in Diafine, sorry about the poor scan. Some tilt was involved too.</p><div>00aSQI-471307584.jpg.62a68a864d519218d68b8538c2c4e3c2.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=6563022">jerome ibanes</a> , Jun 02, 2012; 11:29 a.m.</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I really like it, did you really reverse the lens?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Jerome, <br>

yes, I did. The blossoms were rather small - about 3 or maximal 4 centimeters diameter (no sunflowers :-).<br>

I've shot this handheld in the late afternoon - the shutterspeed was low, maybe 1/60 or 1/125 sec. I've used the handgrip - this well-designed device is a great help, but makes the whole setup kinda monstrous. <br>

After this shot I've tried to find a dedicated macro-rail for proper from-the-tripod-shots, but couldn't locate a budget-priced one.<br>

Tilt is restricted on most tripod-heads and macro-rails.</p>