New Lens for Vacation?

josh_nacey

<p>Hello All,<br>

I'm getting married in a few months and going on an adventurous honeymoon to French Polynesia and New Zealand. I love taking outdoor/landscape photos. I currently use a Canon Rebel XS along with a:</p>

<p>(1) Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6<br>

(2) Sigma 10-20mm f/4.0-5.6<br>

(3) Canon 50mm f/1.8</p>

<p>I use the 50mm prime as my walk-around and the wide-angle for most outdoor shots, but I am really disappointed with my zoom lens. The pictures aren't hardly as sharp as my other two lenses and I find a fair bit of its range overlapping with my other lenses. Due to some credit card points (primarily from booking this honeymoon), I'd be willing to spend up to $600-700. I know that I have the entry-level Canon DSLR and should probably eventually upgrade this, but I'd much rather spend on improved lenses (especially given the pictures from my other lenses are quite sharp on this body). I had been looking at the Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM lens. It seems that this lens has a great value/quality balance and would allow for some additional outdoor range without overlapping my existing lenses. Am I thinking about this the right way? Would I be better off upgrading my camera body?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>If your body is working for you then keep it.<br>

I think there is a fair gap between 20 mm and 70 mm. I'd replace the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 with the 24-105 f4L IS. It will have image quality a bit better than the Sigma zoom in a fairly useful range. I use this combo extensively when travelling.<br>

Personally I would not go for a 70-200 len unless it had IS. The 55-250 f4-5.6 IS is a cheap way to find out if you like that range in a telephoto. Image quality is ok, probably about the same as the 28-135. Another option is the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 USD VC that is about $400 and has VC, which is Tamrons version of IS. It has very good image quality.<br>

I am suprised you don't like you 28-135. My copy was pretty good but a bit below the sigma and the 24-105 f4 L. It benefits from stopping down a bit.</p>

<p>My first thought is: It's your wife-to-be's honeymoon. Unless she's also a photographer, I'd keep it light on the photo-end. You may want to take a waterproof P&S. Lens? Is there something you feel lacking from your present kit?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My first thought is: It's your wife-to-be's honeymoon. Unless she's also a photographer, I'd keep it light on the photo-end. You may want to take a waterproof P&S. Lens? Is there something you feel lacking from your present kit?<br>

<br /></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some great advice from an experienced husband / photographer I would guess. Remember to keep your focus on your wife, I wouldn't spend an over-abundant time on photography unless:<br>

#1 she is already prepared for this... by many many other times where you have focused your lens on the sunset instead of her... (maybe I'm getting too specific here:)</p>

<p>#2. You're willing to hear about it for the rest of your married life</p>

<p>Thank you all for your help so far. For the latter comments, she's well used to my photo-taking habits and definitely encourages it. She knows it may get slightly annoying on the trip, but she understands the benefits once we can get home and reminisce (I've been doing this with her for 7+ years).<br>

The 24-105mm is a bit outside my price range -- maybe my current Canon zoom is just a bad copy. I'll try stopping down. But, as I mentioned before, I feel that I'm just not getting that crisp of photos with my zoom lens. While I feel that I'm fine with wide-angle (10-20mm) and walk-around (50mm), my zoom lens is definitely the weakest part of my bag.</p>

<p>+1 for the EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS. My dad has one on his T2i, the IS works great and the photos are plenty sharp. A great cost vs performance vs weight lens. They can be found quite cheap used as many people want to sell this kit lens and upgrade - perhaps right around $200. Review here:<br /> <a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review">http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review</a></p>

<p>Another suggestion for the Rebel XS would be a Tamron 17-50 (non VC). This is a constant f2.8 lens and is really a very nice lens. I think you can find these closer to $350 new and they have something like a 6 yr warranty? Review here:<br /> <a href="http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/289-tamron-af-17-50mm-f28-sp-xr-di-ii-ld-aspherical-if-canon-test-report--review">http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/289-tamron-af-17-50mm-f28-sp-xr-di-ii-ld-aspherical-if-canon-test-report--review</a></p>

<p>I suspect on a trip like this you will take many wide angle shots (say in the 10mm-17mm range). So at least you have that covered and you will miss it if you leave it behind.</p>

<p>I would bring the Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) and the EF-S 55-250 IS with on the trip. The 50f1.8 is nice to have and small so your call. I have a hunch the 17-50 will be on your camera 70% of the time, the telephoto will be on 10% of the time and the wide angle around 20% of the time.</p>

<p>You should be able to sell the EF 28-135mm for around $240 used. That's enough to get the EF-S 55-250. After buying the Tamron 17-50 you still might $350 left to pick up a small flash or hiking monopod or flash cards or nice polarizer and ND filter or ... a few REALLY NICE DINNERS for you soon-to-be and rather patient wife!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would bring the Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) and the EF-S 55-250 IS with on the trip.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Brad is spot on w/ this advice. The Tamron (non-VC OR VC) 17-50/2.8 the 55-250 IS, and a new rebel should be on your wedding registry. <br>

The 55-250 IS is an outstanding value, very crisp, and cheap, the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is also an excellent value <em>very</em> sharp (the non-VC is a smidge sharper, plus a couple of benjamins cheaper than the VC versions), and, with those two plus the Sigma, you've not much need to bother w/ the 50/1.8. Both the Tamron <em>and</em> the 55-250 can be had for less than your budget.</p>

<p>You may also see if you can find a more modern Rebel. having 150+%<em></em> your XS's MP, better high ISO noise performance (plus the ability to shoot video) are all features which can be had relatively inexpensively. The XS was always the bottom of the barrel, even new. Features that the 'i' versions include can really help your photography. I'd def. get it on your wedding registry. w/ a reasonably modern unit, plus those four lenses (Sig, Tamron, 50/1.8 & 55-250) you're set for years of satisfaction even though the wife may impact your equipment budget for the next few years ;-)</p>

<p>Also, go ahead and sell your 28-135 IS. I've had several copies, and there is quite a bit of variation from lens to lens. The best copy I've had performs nearly on par w/ the 24-105/4L (before I sold it), but the worst was much much softer, even stopped down. For the crop, it's not exactly a convenient range, so it's not really an 'essential' lens. Better to have even an 18-55/IS than a bad 28-135.</p>

<p>I've personally been through this a couple of times, and I can assure you that this should not be a photo-trek, but a honeymoon. If it turns out to be a photo-trek, it will not be an auspicious beginning, as the Roman augurs used to say.</p>

<p>In anthropology we recognize the great life changes that occur in all cultures-<br>

birth<br>

puberty<br>

marriage<br>

children<br>

death<br>

All of these are occasions where the person <strong>whose main concern is photography</strong> should be a professional photographer hired to cover the event.</p>

<p>Otherwise, there are lots of convenient, small cameras that you can throw in the pocket of your beach robe or jacket. Take your camera gear, but don't make it the object of the trip, at least in MHO.</p>