Sigma 150mm Macro lens

Komatsu

I have a Sigma 150mm macro with the OS feature. I have a Nikon lens with the VR feature and it acts totally different to the Sigma. When I use the Nikon lens with the VR turned on, it is virtually seamless in the way it works. The lens stabilizes and you wouldn't even know it's on. When the Sigma lens is turned on with the OS feature, you hear a slight clunk, and you see the object you are focusing on change position in the viewfinder. A few seconds later, you hear a slight clunk again and you see the object move in the viewfinder again. I'd like to know if anyone that has this lens experiences the same thing and if this is normal.

I understand that there is a gyro in theses lenses and that is what I'm probably seeing in the Sigma lens. Just wondering if what I'm hearing and seeing is normal.

Thanks for your help.

<br />

<p>You're sure the Nikon VR <i>is</i> on? :-)<br />

<br />

I suspect this is normal - my 150-500 Sigma acts a bit like this, and the stabilizer is surprisingly loud (in a quiet room). I believe I read recently that Sigma's stabilizer just has "on" and "off", whereas Nikon's has a "preparing to shoot" mode that stops the VR from trying to correct as you frame the shot (although it still damps high frequency oscillations). Or I may have been confusing that bit of information with other manufacturers. Either way, I'd not be surprised that they're different.<br />

<br />

On the other hand, I envy you - I've been lusting after a 150mm Sigma macro for a few months.</p>

<p>Ken, what Nikon VR lens do you have with the feature? Keep in mind that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 has to move a fairly large element around, especially if you're comparing to something like an 18-105mm or 18-55mm lens. However, is it really taking a FEW seconds, or are you exaggerating? Overall, if your images are coming out fine, then I would say that the operation is normal.</p>

<p>Ariel, I have the Nikon 24-120 f4. This is the only lens that I have used with VR and it is very quiet when it is working. When I purchased the Sigma, I thought it would work similarly with the Nikon, but there is quite a noticeable noise when the OS is working and the object in the view finder does change position when the OS engages and it changes again when the OS disengages, a second or two later. The pictures look great, I was just wondering if the lens should be serviced.</p>

<p>Considering that Sigma had to reverse-engineer the Nikon AF and VR info, it's no surprise that it's not as efficient as one of Nikon's premium lenses. And again, the VR element from the 24-120VR to the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is likely enough larger that it creates a noticeable difference in performance. I would not worry about getting it sent in to service. The servo noise is expected, and the shift from the OS system locking the element into place and then removing it to be activated is normal.</p>