Replace my "standard" lens?

walter_strong2

Currently my "standard" lens is the 24-85 F/3.5-4.5 which I've used

exclusively for shooting color negative film. Well, now I'm into

slide film and I'm wondering, since I shoot manually with a hand held

meter, if my exposures would be more accurate with a lens that does

not sport a "moveable" F stop. Does anybody have any experience in

this regard? The 28-70 F2.8L looks like it'd fit the bill but for

$1030 I'd like it to make a real difference.

A variable aperture will not effect metering performance in any way. The in cmaera meter can handle the task on your EOS body just as well as your hand-held meter. Which you choose to use and feel comfortable is another issue. Now, as for buying a new toy: The L zoom will probably be better than you current one. But for some 800 bucks more and a lot heavier at that, I cannot answer even if I have my suspicions.

Why use a handheld meter to shoot slide film? Your EOS body is morre than capable of metering for any film. I have yey to shoot camera with built in metering that will give an erroneous reading with slide film that cannot be corrected with the cxameras controls ie. exposure compensation on newer bodies or knowing the camera is of by a half stop and simply manually compensating for it. It just sems like an unnecasary device. when you have one built into the camera.

Hi Walter,

I do not see how changing the lens will affect the exposure. The only possible change would be the possibility of a more precise iris; however from tests I have read, it appears that on the worst lenses the unaccuracy of the apperture is only 1/3 to 1/2 stop at most. If I were you I would first shoot a couple of slide rolls with your 24-85 mm lens. Slide film has a much lower exposure latitude, so at the beginning you may encounter difficulties, but I would not buy a new lens only for this. Notice that your lens is generally considered as a very good lens.

Regards,

Olivier.

The variable aperture doesn't matter at all with the EOS system - whatever aperture is indicated in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen is the actual one, even in manual, so it's dead easy to use an external meter to take incident readings. I do once in a while: for the most part, I trust the camera's meter and my knowledge of it's behaviour in certain conditions. So there's no need to replace your lens simply because of metering technique.

The 24-85 is a pretty competant lens. It does suffer from fairly severe distortion at the extremes of its focal range: for most types of photography, that's simply not an issue (the exceptions being copying and pure architectural work). Sure, the L lens is sharper: it's also much heavier and much more expensive, and if most of your work is at f8-f11 you would be hard pushed to tell the difference. At wide apertures, the L lens wins.