Current M 50/1.4 summilux bokeh is disturbing..

sparkie

..i just got back some test shots. at 1.4 i find it renders the OOF regions with a 'jaggered' effect. ie. the OOF

subject renderings look like they are bobbing slightly -- giving a jittering effect, its kind of disturbing. anyone else

experienced this?

Sparkie,

while I don´t own a 50 Summilux (I have the collapsible Summicron, which BTW has very smooth bokeh, the current formula Summicron and a Noctilux) I once borrowed a friend´s Summilux. Yes, the bokeh isn´t really pleasant, which is quite a surprise as the optical formula is very similar (at least at first glance) to that of the 75 Summilux, which really shines in the bokeh department and is one of my favorite lenses.

Carsten

http://www.cabophoto.com/

> I would have thought that the current Summilux 50 would have

> very good "bokeh" since it has 12 aperture blades.

Well, Sparkie is using the lens wide open so the aperture blades don't come into play. :-) In any case out-of-focus characteristics have more to do with optical design than aperture shape.

I've never used a 50mm Summilux. I do have a Dual Range Summicron, though. It's OOF rendition can be jittery but is usually quite nice. My fast 50 is a Zeiss f/1.5 Sonnar...IMO it has very pleasing bokeh.

-Dave-

Sparkie, The optical design of the current 50mm Summilux dates back to the mid-19060s. So, I think, someone else would have noticed what you are talking about, earlier. Personally, I feel the whole bokeh issue is complete and utter nonsense and generally not worth talking about. Your test shots are they transparencies or prints. It there are prints, I'll bet your lab is using a digital printer and you are seeing pixelization. Look at the negatives. Without seeing what you are taking about, it is also impossible to reach any accurate conclusions. I've owned a 50mm Summilux since 1968 and it is a first rate lens.

Happy Snaps,

I have this lens and I've never noticed the problem you describe. I like using it wide open and it's one of my most used lenses.

I infer from 'test shots' that perhaps you've just got this lens. I suggest you give it a longer trial with different films - I'd be surprised if you're not persuaded by its virtues soon enough!

Thanks for your responses. Yes, it is a brand new lens I just bought and I was interested in doing a side by side test against a chrome (2nd version) 1960's 50' lux. I used TC400N and was lab printed -- yes, not the best way, but the quickest and cheapest. The shots from both lenses were pretty identical; they were both sharp in the centre but OOF regions, especially where there was light reflections in the background were rendered with this jittering effect. It appears on both lenses, so I assume its an endemic trait of this lens. Yes, youre right for those who say I should test on slide. But from images I have shot with a pre-ASPH 35/1.4's -- they do not exhibit these disturbing characteristics. Both lenses are in Mint and Mint- condition, with flawlwss optics, used with hoods on and uva filters. I will try to post the images when I can get to a scanner. Cheers,

Amazing how many expert opinions there are from people who don't own or

have never used the 50mm 'lux<P>

Well I own and use one on a weekly basis. I did some tests a few months

back, side-by-side comparing it with a 50mm 'cron. Big surprise from the

results was that from f2 onwards, the bokeh of the two lenses were practically

identical. So if you luv the 'cron's bokeh, then using a 'lux isn't going to bring

you any heartache.<P>

At f1.4 I found a fair bit of barrel distorion in the out of focus areas, although

thankfully it isn't the extreme "swirling muck" (plus deep vignetting) the

"Nausealux" gives at f1.0. ;?)<P>