Model Payment and Fees - Is this legit?

mary_miles

<p>I've recently started a model mayhem profile and have been receiving a lot of really great offers to shoot with different photographers, and some are offering to pay me big money, but most of the more promising offers end with this message:<br>

"You have to always check your email regularly(everyday)<br />so that we can arrange your part payment for you to be rest<br />assured($250). The part payment would be mailed directly to you with<br />the studio fees and immediately you have it i will instruct you and<br />give you the studio agents name you are to send the studio rental fee<br />to.Then you will be paid the balance immediately after the shooting, I<br />hope this is quite clear."<br>

I'm not entirely sure what this means because I've never modeled in a professional setting. Is this common or is this scam? I'd love some help on this...</p>

<p>That is the classic over-pay "Nigerian" scam. It involved them sending you a fake payment. You deposit it, write a check to the studio (which is not a studio, but which is someone who WILL cash your check and run), and then you find out that the check they send you ends up bouncing, and you're out the money you paid the fake studio. <br /><br />Variations on this theme go into other areas like catering/music, design/art, and contracting in almost every industry. It's rampant, but of course you can spot a mile away - because it makes no damn sense when you really look at it. You need to have your radar on when you see messages like that.</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>maybe whe can start scamming them by not sending them a check after whe get theres?... ; )</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's a fake/forged check. It'll never clear your bank. And, if you knowingly deposit a fraudulent check, you've just committed fraud.</p>

• 2 weeks later...