Lens Confusion

jmlphotography

<p>I’m hoping someone will take pity and restate in really basic terms an issue that I know has been addressed many times.<br>

I have recently been give a 203FE and several lenses (FE, CFE, CFi). I’ve read the manual several times and have read several discussions on using the CFE and CFi lenses with the 203. I remain confused.<br>

My confusion starts with the Manual referring to a Green button. There is no Green button on any of the lenses I have. There is an Orange button that I can press and move an Orange F to the “common index” line. <br>

First question: Is the Orange button the same as the Green Button referred to in the Manual?<br>

Second question: Under what circumstances do I have to set the F mode lock for the CFE and CFi lenses? The manual indicates that there are some instances when it should be used a some when it shouldn't.<br>

Third question: I am unclear as to what circumstances require me to use the DOF Preview button after setting my desired shutter speed and aperture and before taking the picture. <br>

Fourth question: Can I use the CFE and CFi lenses as shutter speeds between 1/500 and 1/2000 and (bonus question) how? <br>

Finally, if there is anyone who shoots with this equipment in South East Florida between Palm Beach and Miami, I'd sure be happy to meet with you for a hands on lesson.</p>

<i>"First question: Is the Orange button the same as the Green Button referred to in the Manual?

"</i><br><br>Yes.<br><br><i>"Second question: Under what circumstances do I have to set the F mode lock for the CFE and CFi lenses?"</i><br><br>Whenever you are not using the leaf shutter in the lens to time the exposure.<br><br><i>"what circumstances require me to use the DOF Preview button after setting my desired shutter speed and aperture and before taking the picture"</i><br><br>Never necessary. Never with FE and CFE lenses. Never after (!) setting the desired shutter speed and aperture (i.e. in manual mode) with CFi lenses either.<br>It is necessary using the meter inside the camera in conjuction with CFi lenses, but before - not after - finding out what shutter speed and aperture to set. Stop down metering then, because the camera has no knowledge of at what aperture the lens is at that is admitting the light it can meter.<br><br><i>"Can I use the CFE and CFi lenses as shutter speeds between 1/500 and 1/2000 and (bonus question) how?"</i><br><br>Yes. Just disable the shutter in the lens and use the camera's shutter.

<p>Wow, thanks for the quick response.<br>

For clarification:<br>

How do I disable the shutter in the lens? I'm thinking locking the F mode, but I'd like to be sure. Once I've done this, I just set the aperture and meter will select the shutter speed up to 1/2000, correct? When would I use the shutter dial on the camera body?<br>

Sorry to be so dense, but the cost of buying and developing film makes me extra cautious.</p>

Yes, just press the orange button and move the shutter speed ring to "F", and the shutter in the lens will be disabled.<br>Then a CFE lens will work just the same as a FE lens.<br><Br>You use the shutter dial on the camera body when you want to use the shutter in the lens (set the camera to "C") as timed shutter. Or when you do not use the shutter in the lens (or a shutterless FE lens) and want to manually set the body's shutter to any speed yourself, instead of allowing the camera to do it for you (i.e. in "M" mode).